OT: Any Triumph fans here?

Mr Toast

Threadslayer
Aug 1, 2002
www.mrtoast.com
I was flipping through my big portable CD case today (I also have a smaller case that my 'most played' goes into) and stumbled across Triumph: Stages (live album).

So I threw this in and was immediately mesmerized. Great songs! The playlist:

1) When The Lights Go Down
2) Never Surrender
3) Hold On
4) Magic Power
5) Rock And Roll Machine
6) Lay It On The Line
7) A World Of Fantasy
8) Midsummer's Daydream
9) Spellbound
10) Follow Your Heart
11) Fight The Good Fight
plus 2 bonus tracks (not live)
12) Mind Games
13) Empty Inside

Anyways, it just reminded me how magical this music really was back in the day (and still is). And the 7+ minute guitar solo at the end of Rock And Roll Machine just has the crowd mesmerized...

I believe this album was recorded in San Diego btw (At least that is what the guy says *I think* at the open of the album).

I miss the golden age of Guitar Gods! Back in the early-mid 80's was IMHO when the age of Guitar Virtuosos was at a peak, and I was hungrily buying albums trying to keep up with all of them.

We still have some absolutely great players coming up in the ranks these days, but few/none of them will ever get to see the 'true guitar god' status (and trappings) associated with several musicians from this period...

So, anyone else here have fond memories of Triumph?

Rick Emmit (sp?) kicks butt! I saw them twice (back in the 80's). One of the times was at the US Festival. I love the accustic solo's he does. Anyboy got word on what Rick or the band is doing?
Here's another question for all to respond to...which band member's singing do you like more??? (I like Ricks more.)

Funny you should post this. They are one of my influences (Ric) and I got to fly back east and hang w/ him back stage before a show in Virginia a few years ago. Real cool guy and you're right Toast the stuff IS magical. He does his solo stuff now which rules ...you should check out the website....for the record. TRIUMPH will be one band NEVER to do a reunion tour.....so a solo show is the only way to hear that stuff again.

Triumph was a great, great band...sometimes overlooked and frequently wrongly accused of being a "Rush clone." Rik Emmett is one of the best all-around guitarists out there...and an incredible vocalist. If you're a guitarist, pick up the tab for "Midsummer's Daydream" and...good luck in nailing it. But you'll have fun trying.

For those of you in Southern California, Rik Emmett will be playing at Paladino's in Tarzana on Oct 12 (Sat)...maybe the Maidens can be the special guest on the bill??

He's also at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano on Oct 10 (Thurs). Apparently these are solo shows where he plays a lot of instrumentals, electric and acoustic, as well as many of the Triumph hits and songs from his solo albums since leaving Triumph.

fyi, Rik Emmett's official website is www.rikemmett.com

I checked it out and found that he has like 8 solo albums you can order through the website. I picked up one in a Vancouver record store a couple of years ago; it's called "Raw Quartet" and it totally rocks.

I had no idea he had released that much material since leaving Triumph. Much of it is on independent Candadian record labels, so I guess he doesn't get much exposure/distribution here in the U.S. Too bad.

Haha...re: the tour, I'll have to tell you in person.

SO RIK IS FINALLY MAKING HIS WAY DOWN HERE HUH??? Definately worth it to go see....The man is a GOD both w/ guitar, vox and songwriting. MAGICAL SHIT! I wonder if these shows are just him or did he bring down his back up band.

I used to have all his solo CDs.....................really good stuff....some really bluesy too...MINI MURRAY!!!