OT: Megadeth Remasters

The lyrics on "Take No Prisoners" are not different as far as I can tell. (Ok, I think I noticed a one word difference.) The vocals, on the other hand, are definitely knew. I just read a reviewer on amazon.com who said the original recordings of those vocals and of the "Five Magics" vocals were lost, so Dave redid them. (I don't know if that's the true story, but it makes sense.) I definitely prefer the original, so you won't seeing me get rid of my original two copies of Rust in Peace. (One I bought. One I won.)

Oh, and the lyrics for "Five Magics" are mostly the same, but some parts are out of order.

what's the unreleased track like on RIP?

i also hear that some of the solos have been re-recorded! is this true?

do the shitty sounding old ones now sound as if they were recorded today (louder, more beefy etc., or are they just a little 'cleaner'??

The remasters are good, I bought Rust In Peace and Countdown To Extiction. It's like listening to brand new albums. All the songs sound different, whether it's musically or vocal wise. The demo of "Psychotron" are way different but really cool. I would hang on to your originals as the originals and remasters are entirely different. It's interesting to hear the differences, but I think just a simple remaster would have been better.

I personally think he absolutely ruined Countdown To Extinction. Fuck, for some reason, the vocals sound off key on Skin O' My Teeth now...yet, he didn't redo em. Something got fucked up there somewhere along the lines. Countdown and onwards didn't need remixed, and he used drum samples and shit and the drum sounds on those records were already badass. Now the snare drum sounds the same on every album...the original character these recordings had were gone. The drum sound on Cryptic Writings sounds muffled now....some of the changes are kinda cool to hear, and the bonus tracks are worth it, but I warn you, if you love these albums, do not get rid of your originals. Now, Peace Sells and So Far...So Good...So What! are improved bigtime. Musically, Rust In Peace sounds a shitload better...but he redid the vocals on Take No Prisoners since the original vocal tape was lost, and the first verse sounds absolutely terrible as do the backing vocal chants...and I don't know if he did it purposely or not, but both Five Magics and Lucretia sound like he used alternate vocal takes...but they sound like they are from 1990, not resang. So that album's a mixed bag, even though a lot of the songs sound better, and sonically, it sounds way better. For a sure bet of improvement, get Peace Sells and SFSGSW....and check out the rest, but be forewarned that it's different, so don't sell your originals.

Oh, and no solos on Rust In Peace were changed. It's all the same musically. I think you might have assumed he changed solos when you heard people talking about Chris Poland's solos being different....Poland almost rejoined Megadeth in 1989 after the SFSGSW lineup was fired and Nick came into the picture...he did some R.I.P. demos with the band, which are included as bonus tracks....so people were talking about the solos Poland did on the demos. But the album tracks are still Marty's fucking great solos!

On another note, I'd like to see State of Euphoria remastered as that seems to be recorded low and always have to turn the volume up on that disc. Actually, Anthrax remasters don't sound like a bad idea. But don't remix them though. And maybe add some bonus tracks like demos and what not.

thanks.
also what is the packaging like (case or digipack?) - lots of extra pics and liner notes/commentaries - or just repoduced artwork from the originals??

max said:
thanks.
also what is the packaging like (case or digipack?) - lots of extra pics and liner notes/commentaries - or just repoduced artwork from the originals??
Jewel cases (thank Satan).
Liner notes by Dave with a little info on originally recording the album and short bits for each bonus track. Two pages at the end of each CD's booklet with pictures from the era of the album. Not as much as the remasters of, say, Iron Maiden, but not as empty as...Van Halen's. (Hence the regular price being between the two bands' CDs!)

Oh, from the ones I have seen, the booklets are very similar to the originals, just with more stuff. Like Youthanasia has all the same pictures. I did notice the song wrtiting credits for every song on that album changed to Mustaine/Ellefson/Friedman/Menza. Odd.

max said:
maiden re-issues are great!

shitty jewel case- i'm sure they looked like digi packs in the megadeth store...
oh well...
I'd rather have "shitty jewel cases" than digipacks that scratch CDs when you slide them in (e.g. Rush's Different Stages, Rush in Rio and Feedback and Black Sabbath's Past Lives) And even for digipacks that you don't have to slide in the CD, I like being able to transport the CD and its case without worrying about casuing major damage to the case from a small ding.

ThraxMan said:
On another note, I'd like to see State of Euphoria remastered as that seems to be recorded low and always have to turn the volume up on that disc. Actually, Anthrax remasters don't sound like a bad idea. But don't remix them though. And maybe add some bonus tracks like demos and what not.

I agree 100%..Fistful of Metal has all these pops in it..and State of Euphoria IS really lowly recorded....we should start a petition for rereleasing every album from Fistful Of Metal through Persistence Of Time...whos with me??? :wave: