OT: Network Neutrality & Hijacking the Internet

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey gang,

First off, let me apologise for going WAY off topic here. This is first & foremost a metal production forum, and I'm greatful to be a part of this community.
I hate to bring a political tone in here, but there is a steaming pile of shit coming our way from Washington, and while it will, at first, effect just the Americans, in time, it could effect those in the international crowd as well.

The simplest explantaion: Broadband providers in the US are pushing congress to allow them to regulate content.... Essentially handing control of the Internet over to the major ISP corporations.
This could mean anything from extra fees, to outright blocking of certain sites by your provider. This also means things like the Ultimate Metal forum will load at a snail's pace vs. someone with very deep pockets, like Microsoft.
I was first alerted to this by the new issue of Popular Science. After some research, it looks pretty scary.

What's really surprising is just how little press this whole issue has recieved.
If you want to know what's really going on, please check out http://www.savetheinternet.com/
There's all kinds of info on the subject, as well as a petition with over 1 million signatures to fight this. ... not to mention, direct email links to members of congress so you can let them know what you think.

As I Canadian, all I can do is watch from the sidelines. I hope that sanity prevails.

A friendly public service announcement from that guy who wrote the drum thread,

-0z-

OzNimbus said:
I hate to bring a political tone in here, but there is a steaming pile of shit coming our way from Washington, and while it will, at first, effect just the Americans, in time, it could effect those in the international crowd as well.

Actually, the effect it will have on the International crowd is pretty big as well.

Who owns most of the major backbones of the Internet? US Companies like AT&T, Verizon and Bell. How do you connect to Google? Or half the websites you do? Chances are it goes through one of them.

Path Ping 20 popular website's IP addresses that you visit, $20 says more than half of them will go through a US backbone. Even this site most likely does.

BlackestEyes said:
i thought that congress just got rid of that bill proposition. maybe i heard wrong.:erk:

I think you were misinformed. Go check out savetheinternet.com & decide for yourself. If you don't like what's going on, tell everyone you know in the states about it & please, sign the petition. This could effect ALL of us.

Thanks,
-0z-