OT: Technology change up your ass

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
While surfing I discover today the Blu-Ray...wtf is that? So I decided to check a bit of it Blu-ray.com - What is Blu-ray? and I want to show this excerpt

The format offers more than five times the storage capacity of traditional DVDs and can hold up to 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc. This extra capacity combined with the use of advanced video and audio codecs will offer consumers an unprecedented HD experience.

While current optical disc technologies such as DVD, DVD±R, DVD±RW, and DVD-RAM rely on a red laser to read and write data, the new format uses a blue-violet laser instead, hence the name Blu-ray. Despite the different type of lasers used, Blu-ray products can easily be made backwards compatible with CDs and DVDs through the use of a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical pickup unit.

Just when I barely was accepting DVD the technological change is impossed on us again same as CD was force upon tape and vinyl (only vinyl still lives).

Of course I understand that technology must progress but it is fair to make the change so fast than suddenly you don't have access to the things you like/use unless you accept the new technology? And I'm not refering to just image and sound but information. For years using diskettes (floppy disks) was acceptable as a way to store information, the growth of HD size and the coming of CD-RW/R technology is a relative newer phenomena, much newer of course is DVD-RW/R, and just when you finally are confortable with it (or finally afforded) the change is here again!

Forced change/forced consumism, of course nobody is twisting your arm, you can simply refuse to change and keep using an older technology, the question is for how log you'll be able too?

NP: Anubis Gate - 'Kingdom Come'

Yeah, it's change, but an accepted format has yet to happen. That is...just like when Betamax and VHS were happening at the same time, the industry has not yet decided exactly which way it's going to go on this. However, since the new Playstation is blu-ray, and Sony has huge influence, the standard could be in the process of being decided right now. In any case, we'll see. I remember when HD started to hit there was talk of every single station switching to HD broadcasting within something like six years. And this wasn't "just because" either, it was a mandate from the FCC. Whether or not that's still true I don't know. But I will say, when that story was hitting the streets via major media (newspapers, radio, etc.), I remember thinking that it was a pretty sketchy policy for the FCC to MANDATE what kind of television one needed to own. Again, blu-ray, HD, we'll see.....

We don't watch much TV at my house, but to be frank my tv is so old that I need a converter to hook a DVD player up to it. I definately don't give a hoot about keeping up with the Jones'.

Also, it will be interesting to see if TV/Movies/DVDs start to move into the realm of the MP3/4 evolution. Could it be that DVDs will be obsolete (or any hard format) just as CDs are going to be? No idea, just wondering....and it seems like only a matter of time before all digital entertainment is actually, purely digital, no hard copies for sale.....Brave new world I guess....

Welcome to the new world, Wyv! Electronics technology is expanding at the speed of light these days, and only the rich people and businessmen can keep up with the changes. When new technology is introduced it is priced way out of a normal person's price range (you may get to pick one or two "new" things per year, but that's a drop in the bucket). It's been this way for many years now and I came to peace with it long ago.

My philosophy is this:

I stay one or two steps behind the Joneses. Let them pay the big bucks and serve as guinea pigs for bug-ridden, non-compatible technology. I'll get it when it's affordable and all the patches and fixes are complete.

Also, it will be interesting to see if TV/Movies/DVDs start to move into the realm of the MP3/4 evolution. Could it be that DVDs will be obsolete (or any hard format) just as CDs are going to be? No idea, just wondering....and it seems like only a matter of time before all digital entertainment is actually, purely digital, no hard copies for sale.....Brave new world I guess....

I definately forsee that in another few years there will be no recorded media. Everything will be streamed straight from the web.

I've been collecting cds for 15 years, but I've found myself definately moving over to mp3s. The big shelf of cd is cool for the sake of collecting, but the IPOD is definately more convenient. So I guess technology has it's merits.

I'm glad that something bigger finally showed up, blu-ray has been expected for a long time by me. Finally I don't have to use xvid to have more than 1 movies on a cd.

However, since the new Playstation is blu-ray, and Sony has huge influence, the standard could be in the process of being decided right now. In any case, we'll see.
I thought the same thing for a while. But once the PS3 finally came out, with a less than desirable launch, I've found my views shifted a little bit. Things aren't looking too hot for the Playstation, what with big price cuts already, very very limited availability (much lower than predicted), etc.

But I digress. I don't think the PS3 will have very much weight in future technology changes. I think that music will be one of(if not the only) the main deciding markets. I can't forsee any huge leap in the film industry that would really stir up a need for better, more capable technology. I can't think of any other major markets that would actually have a real need for this technology.

Blu-ray is the same as HD, it is two different technologies coming out at the same time effectively reaching for the same goal: delivering a clearer picture for movie and video watchers (the video games benefit as well although not the driving force behind the technology). This is all about movies, ladies and gents, and the film/television industries strong desire to make every household a part of the HD/Blu-ray experience.

HD is the standard with television, but Blu-ray has been embraced by most of the major movie studios. Already on Netflix, I see many of the movies also available on Blu-ray. That wasn't the case 6 months ago. Back then, there were a few movies you could get on HD, but very few.

I love this new digital stuff. Like TSO I'm staying a step behind to wait for the stable format of whatever is going to be the standard. I picked-up an I-pod back in May and just love it. One of the best inventions ever. I have almost my whole cd collection on it plus pictures and t.v. shows. All of it carried around in my pocket. I can only say that it's the shit!! Don't get me wrong. I miss the old days of coming home from the record store with a couple of records under my arm. Ripping open the plastic and pulling out that 12 inch platter and getting a whif of that "new vinyl smell". You were able to enjoy the cover art then and read the lyrics on the sleeve. Well, Cds pretty much killed that but the music is still what it's all about. The more of it I can have on me to be played anytime, anywhere makes life all the more fun.:kickass:

By the way. Are there any former 8-track tape owners here?

Ripping open the plastic and pulling out that 12 inch platter and getting a whif of that "new vinyl smell". You were able to enjoy the cover art then and read the lyrics on the sleeve.

I do miss that a lot, but as lazy as I am I like CDs since I don't have to turn to the B-side :lol: Still not lazy enough to switch from a material object (a CD) to an intangible one (a digital file).

My first sound system (in my room) was a 3-1 (turntable, radio, 8-track), but I didn't have any intereting music in the 8-tracks. That was long ago when I was in high school.

NP: Reflection - 'The Adventure Begins'

The first car I bought had an 8-track player in it. I didn't own any at the time as in 1983 they were already way out of style, but my best friend had some laying around from the old days. He let me borrow a few so I at least had some tunes.
I'm trying to remember some of them... Pat Travers - Black Pearl, Deep Purple - Come Taste the Band - Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak, Styx - Equinox, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, and a few others I can't remember right now.

Still not lazy enough to switch from a material object (a CD) to an intangible one (a digital file).

NP: Reflection - 'The Adventure Begins'

I'm with Wyvern. Much of the fun of collecting metal for me is hunting down a copy of some album (be it on cd or vinyl) that you "need" for the collection. It's great to be able to get music from the net to listen to but for me it does not compare to having the package in your hands. A bunch of files on a computer just doesn't compare to shelves full of records and cd's. :)

As for new formats... I'm done... I've hit the end of the line... records, cd's and dvd's are what I'll collect... I'm not changing to ANOTHER format.

A team of Chinese, US and Belgian scientist have invented a new way of transporting data optical. The speed of the data transfert can be 37.500 times faster than now !!!.... Nice if you don't have any down-and upload limitations like we have here...

A team of Chinese, US and Belgian scientist have invented a new way of transporting data optical. The speed of the data transfert can be 37.500 times faster than now !!!.... Nice if you don't have any down-and upload limitations like we have here...

Wonder if that technology will be ever commercially available to us in Pitland, Latin America :erk:

As for new formats... I'm done... I've hit the end of the line... records, cd's and dvd's are what I'll collect... I'm not changing to ANOTHER format.

Good ol'Greeno to the rescue! I was feeling I'm the only cro-magnon in the forum :lol:

As a kid, I had Kiss' Double Platinum on 8 track. I think that's the only one I personally owned, but I also remember listening to Ray Stevens' The Streak and a couple other things (probably my dad's easy listening) on 8 track.

The first car I bought had an 8-track player in it. I didn't own any at the time as in 1983 they were already way out of style, but my best friend had some laying around from the old days. He let me borrow a few so I at least had some tunes.
I'm trying to remember some of them... Pat Travers - Black Pearl, Deep Purple - Come Taste the Band - Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak, Styx - Equinox, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, and a few others I can't remember right now.

Hahaha!! My first car had an 8-track in it also. This was '88 but I still had a few laying around. The first Zepplin. Deep Purple-In Rock, the first Kiss, Sabbath- Sabatage and a few others. One day one got stuck in it and I could not get it out without breaking the tape so I drove around for about three months listening to nothing but Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic. To this day I still can't bear to hear any song from that album.:lol:

My philosophy is this:

I stay one or two steps behind the Joneses. Let them pay the big bucks and serve as guinea pigs for bug-ridden, non-compatible technology. I'll get it when it's affordable and all the patches and fixes are complete.

Mine too. Besides, I can't afford to keep up with the Joneses.

And me being a software engineer -- the patches and fixes are never complete. It's called job security! :lol:

Forced change/forced consumism, of course nobody is twisting your arm, you can simply refuse to change and keep using an older technology, the question is for how log you'll be able too?

Basically I agree with you. I embrace technology a little more readily than you but it's also a significant part of my job. I enjoy it, otherwise I would have a different job! :)

CDs have been around for about 25 years now. That's an eternity, tech-wise. The cool thing about everything being digital is that if the format isn't right for you, then you can acquire a program that will convert it to a format that you can use or prefer.

I doubt I'll ever go completely MP3. Most of the MP3s I have now were ripped from my very own CDs. That's the way I like it. I'm sure the record companies just love the idea of the consumer using his own CDs to carry the product placed in their own cases containing a jacket printed with their own paper and ink.

My philosophy is this:

Same here...I think I'm going to buy a DVD recorder soon...Everybody is paying lots for HD recorders now, and I'm sure I can get along another 10 years or so with "normal" DVD stuff....