OT: White Zombie Astro Creep (Terry Date)

sparkyness

Explore The Space
Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne
I'm checking out White Zombie's Astro Creep as I'd not listened to it in at least a couple of years….my god Terry Date never ceases to amaze me and it's no wonder why he's my favourite. His productions always seem to sound "fresh" when I listen back to them. This album is 12 years old and still sounds like it was recorded yesterday. The guitar and bass tones are heavy as shit and just eat your ears. Much better than Zombie's solo stuff which sounds a bit over-processed and lacking in dynamics to my ears. Am adding this puppy to my reference mix collection.:headbang:

i was listening to this album yesterday and had the same sensation u had sparkyness! terry date is really good! this album is awesome!!! it was one of my favorites album between 95-96

really good!!!

I never really liked the songs on "Astro Creep" too much (Sexorcisto was the bombizzle), so I didn't buy the record. Shit definitely sounds awesome, though. If I recall correctly, TD got a Grammy nomination for it.

Astro Creep is a great fucking record. To a young guy like myself, it was one of the first rock albums that pushed me head-first into music.

Sat at my desk at work with "Blood, Milk and Sky" on repeat on my mp3 player for virtually the entire afternoon. Productivity?

Ah man, that album is sooo fucking baddass!! I'm gonna have to throw this on right now!! Thanks! It's been a while for me too. Thanks for reminding me. Terry Date is THE MAN!! There has to be a WZ reunion pretty soon!:headbang:

Such an amazing album, and I almost forgot. I threw it in just by chance a few days ago too. Something is in the air...

The riffage on that album just KILLS. Creature of the Wheel :headbang:

I got the impression Zombie prefers directing horror movies anyway. His music is so immersed with that imagery that I'm surprised he bothers with music at all anymore. It's not like his vocal are particularly diverse from one song to another. Astro Creep was sonically brilliant because of the different elements brought by each of the musicians then orchestrated by a producer who knows how to get the best out of a situation. This is evident by how bland Zombie's solo stuff is/was. Every song sounded the same because of his extremely limited vocal delivery and lack of input from elsewhere which goes to show that Tempesta & J must have brought so much to that era of WZ.

This is a perfect example of what I hate the most about creating music. EGO! I've heard Rob say he wrote alot of WZ riffs. I just don't believe that. If he had, his solo albums would have been better. J is one rad mother fucker. He produced those early Fu Manchu records too.

Well, he was operating a studio out of New Orleans before Katrina.

I used to take my kids trick or treating at Rob Zombie's house. I have some awesome pics.