Outsourcing drum recording to another studio

Donovan S.

Jul 6, 2010
Oklahoma, US
I don't have the space to record a drum set with good results, so I'm on the search for a studio that I could outsource drum tracking to and then finish everything else in-house. Could anybody who does this type of thing offer any advice on what to look for, getting used to a new studio, etc?

First off, rent a studio that offer what you need.

-Great live room
-decent amount of mic to work with
-decent amount of mic pre

Also, check for restaurants, fast food around studio you plan to book. Better to everyone to don't drive too much for eat something.

Mikaël-ange;10123540 said:
First off, rent a studio that offer what you need.

-Great live room
-decent amount of mic to work with
-decent amount of mic pre

Also, check for restaurants, fast food around studio you plan to book. Better to everyone to don't drive too much for eat something.

this if you arent sample replacing (or doing very minimum replacement). if you are sample replacing, then who cares.

Don't know if Black box in tulsa (Where I'm based) wil rent their space, but I like their rooms. Google search and find out. But if you want killer drum sounds, The Ryan Harvey is your man. Whereabouts in ok are you?

Youre in Oklahoma, hit up catharsis studios

Harvey is a great guy and I love his productions, but I'm looking for something a little more professional. He records in a small room as far as I know and I'm looking for a studio with a pretty large live room that I can get great room sounds out of.

I'd prefer to use sample replacement as a last resort.

Don't know if Black box in tulsa (Where I'm based) wil rent their space, but I like their rooms. Google search and find out. But if you want killer drum sounds, The Ryan Harvey is your man. Whereabouts in ok are you?

I'm in Owasso. I've already sent Black Box an e-mail after a google search. I also found Bell Labs Recordings and was very impressed by their live room. It's a fairly expensive place in Norman.

The idea is to compile a small list of studios that I could use depending on the band's budget.

I like your idea, I think I'll take a leaf from your book and find some rentable spaces in town. If I find something really useable, I'll let you know, maybe some collab can happen in the future.

I did this for my own band recently. I think everyone has already covered most of the basics. What sold me on the studio I picked besides the room, mic and pre selection was their willingness to upgrade to Logic 9 which made my life easier when comping the drum tracks. You may want to consider this when making your choice.

A good sounding big live room.
Decent mics.
and if you can handle it... tape...
my preferred studio for drums...

live1.jpg

control1.jpeg

Desk is now a Neve 5316..... Just done a little sex wee.

A good sounding big live room.
Decent mics.
and if you can handle it... tape...
my preferred studio for drums...

That place is beauuuttifulll!!! Something like this would be ideal. I found one studio that looked pretty good but they charge $50/hr. I'm gonna have a hard time convincing bands to pay that much around here.

That place is beauuuttifulll!!! Something like this would be ideal. I found one studio that looked pretty good but they charge $50/hr. I'm gonna have a hard time convincing bands to pay that much around here.

$50 an hour isn't too bad, my go-to places charge $150/hr and $1500 a day....

$50 an hour isn't too bad, my go-to places charge $150/hr and $1500 a day....

Unless you're working with some "Hollywood" status producer I think that's a crock of shit to pay that much.

There's a guy here that get's away with doing $1500 a session and his mixes are good but not jaw dropping. He is talented with vocal production and working out harmonies for his clients but overall I'm just baffled. Local guys doing a full length with him and dropping tens of thousands of dollars for a so/so album... He isn't in a work place surrounded by tons of gear or a live room that's so great either... I hardly pull anyone and I'm $150 a DAY and I feel I'm very reasonable with my rates and always put in the extra effort to be comfortable with my name on it.

Then there are other guys around here that have an old ass digi002 and ada8000 with Shure PG mics that think that $60/hr is fair... Needless to say they work with old musicians and have nasty sounding product...

Most of the big shot producers I look up to cap their rates at about $55-60 dollars and they have a huge portfolio and studio.

Just my .02 and I apologize for the rant on a thread that wasn't posted for bitching- Hard to believe someone with a type of medical license could be making less than what you just said hahaha... I'm just having a bitch of a time finding the opportunity to get my service going- had yet another temp/freelance opportunity fall through recently.

ANYWAY-