Ozone 4 Loudness Maxi replacement for mix use?

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

A huge strain on the CPU usage in my sessions is the chain that I run on my master bus. Chief amongst those plugs is iZotope Ozone 4. I love mixing into the loudness maximizer portion because it allows me to get commercial levels AS I mix, which I find to be the perfect reference point for balancing mix levels etc.

Essentially, are there any 'smart' limiter/clippers out there that will do this job on a mix without the absolutely insane CPU overhead of Ozone 4?

Cheers,
Ermin.

Maybe it's too obvious of a choice or you want something with more complex algorithms, but I use Voxengo Elephant for that. After using the ol' (and hard earned) L2 for years, I was amazed at how much more transparent Elephant sounds when being pushed. It seems like they made a giant step forward ever since V3 was released.

Hmm been a while since I've used Elephant but I can give it another go.

I assume you guys are advocating using it on the 'clipper' algorithm? I stopped being able to find my way around that UI after they made it look like a carnival.

It seems that Ozone 4 is not fully windows 7 compatible:

System Requirements

Operating System:
Windows (XP, x64, Vista)
Mac OS X 10.4 or later (Universal Binary)

Plug-In Formats:
Pro Tools 7+ (RTAS/ AudioSuite), VST, MAS, Audio Unit, DirectX

Current Version: 4.03

@Anssi: Damn, that must be it. The CPU usage is amazingly high, probably to the point it's a glitch.

@Elephant guys: What algorithm are you guys referring to? I know Elephant gives a ton of them, none of which I found stellar, hence why I switched over to Ozone (whose Intelligent algorithms just annihilate everything I've tried). If we're talking transparency, I assume you mean the clipping algorithm?

@Anssi: Damn, that must be it. The CPU usage is amazingly high, probably to the point it's a glitch.

@Elephant guys: What algorithm are you guys referring to? I know Elephant gives a ton of them, none of which I found stellar, hence why I switched over to Ozone (whose Intelligent algorithms just annihilate everything I've tried). If we're talking transparency, I assume you mean the clipping algorithm?

El-Uni my man

I used the trial version of Ozone 4 a few weeks ago for roughmixes, it ran fine on my Athlon XP 3000+ (you read that right, 5 year old CPU without even SSE2). Actually I had one instance on bass, one on the vocal bus and one on the master bus.

Your machine should eat that plugin for breakfast and not even burp...

Mostly the clipper, yeah.

Yeah cool, there's obviously a glitch, thanks for helping me isolate that. I always wondered why the Cubase 5 and Win 7 combo seemed to run so inefficiently.

I'll move over to Elephant and try some of the algorithms to see if they match the feel of oZone.

Thanks a bunch guys, it's been invaluable, as always.

Yes! Just found out why it was causing large CPU usage. I had 'prevent inter-sample peaks' on which apparently grinds the CPU a little. With that function off it seems to match the overall CPU use of the Elephant plug-in set to 2x oversampling. Around 4% or so, which is manageable, considering how awesome the iZotope algorithm is. Really glad to not have to switch over.

How're you using Ozone? My master bus has SSL comp going into Ozone using Intelligent II mode with character set on transparent. Seems to be the best option I've tried so far... until Slate's FG-X mastering plug-in comes out, anyways...