Ozzy Osbourne scraps "Soul Sucka" as album title

nomisofsiman

Sep 19, 2008
Wheaton, IL
Thank God he changed the album title. "Soul Sucka" sounded like it should be a rap album. My favorite part of this story though is Ozzy saying he's doing 3,025 dates. Either this is a misprint or he's absolutely insane as even if he were to have a show every day, it would take him a little under 9 years to do that. Haha.

Ozzy Osbourne has scrapped "Soul Sucka" as the working title of his new solo album. "When we put that on the Internet none of my fan base liked the title," Osbourne tells RollingStone.com. "They were like, 'I can't imagine me walking around the fucking house with the words 'Soul Sucka' on my T-shirt.' So I was like, 'Fuck it. I've got to come up with something else!'" The now-untitled set is due out in July, the same month Osbourne says that Ozzfest will return after a one-year break. "After Ozzfest I'm doing the most extensive tour of my life," he says. "It'll be something like, 3,025 dates."

Ozzy's next album, his first since 2007's "Black Rain", will feature songs such as "Let It Die" and "Diggin' Me Down" and "Soul Sucka". The record will be the first to feature Ozzy's new guitarist, Greek native Gus G., who replaced longtime axeman Zakk Wylde in Ozzy's band last year.

"People are going to say, 'Oh, you're falling out with Zakk,'" Ozzy tells RollingStone.com. "No, I haven't fallen out with Zakk. I mean, he does need me anymore, Zakk. He actually has his own fucking thing, you know. I knew I had to get another guitar player for a while. I just kept putting it off and putting it off."

why are we discussing OZZY? is he even relevent now? i mean he sucks and not even Gus G can save him. if you go to see an ozzy show now you probably wear your hat backwards and over your eyebrows and if it's summertime you prefer to NOT wear your shirt...ever. ozzy osbourne ceased to exist after No More Tears in my book, and honestly THAT is even pushing it.

I love Ozzy and own everything he's ever done with Sabbath and solo. With that said, I hope to God this isn't a precursor to what this new album is going to be like. I mean dear Jesus, you have a young, hungry Gus G. as your guitarist, so make a damn metal album! I was really hoping that Gus could steer Ozzy somewhat in the direction of the greatness of Bark At The Moon, but I believe that's overstepping it a bit on my part. :erk:

~Brian~

I love Ozzy and own everything he's ever done with Sabbath and solo. With that said, I hope to God this isn't a precursor to what this new album is going to be like. I mean dear Jesus, you have a young, hungry Gus G. as your guitarist, so make a damn metal album! I was really hoping that Gus could steer Ozzy somewhat in the direction of the greatness of Bark At The Moon, but I believe that's overstepping it a bit on my part. :erk:

~Brian~

I'm with you Brian.I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Ozzy.There isn't an album from him that I can't find at least a couple of songs to enjoy.Gus should help make it it closer to the glory days for Ozzy if Sharon will let him have any say so in it.But I'm sure she won't.

why are we discussing OZZY? is he even relevent now? i mean he sucks and not even Gus G can save him. if you go to see an ozzy show now you probably wear your hat backwards and over your eyebrows and if it's summertime you prefer to NOT wear your shirt...ever. ozzy osbourne ceased to exist after No More Tears in my book, and honestly THAT is even pushing it.

Relevant to a degree that you have enough angst over it to post. Of course he's relevant. But relevant to what? How about relevant to pop culture and metal culture at the same time. Frightening isn't it?

I have to say I agree with you 100 %. I've seen Ozzy with both Randy, Jake and Zack. He was awesome with Randy, very good with Jake and dismal with Zack. The last time I saw him was probably in -95 and it was brutally sad. I really think he started the downward spiral as early as -88.
The Sabbath and early Ozzy stuff is some of the best hard rock / metal ever made though and to see and hear him now is painful.

I'm with you Brian.I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Ozzy.There isn't an album from him that I can't find at least a couple of songs to enjoy.Gus should help make it it closer to the glory days for Ozzy if Sharon will let him have any say so in it.But I'm sure she won't.

I'd have to agree. With that said, he has been on a bit of a downward spiral ever since "Down to Earth" and "Black Rain" for the most part was awful. See, I think the Zakk/Ozzy stuff was great up through Ozzmosis. After that, it just got more, well, plain and basic.

Ozzy is a different person than 15 years ago. He's cleaned up, by what I've heard from people who know him, he's not stupid and he's more athletic than probably 90% of the people who come to his shows (even if he can barely walk at times).

The stuff I've seen online so far with Gus playing live has me concerned because he sounds a bit like Zakk's style. Why get rid of Zakk then? Let Gus come in and do what he does best, not try to sound like Zakk.

I'd have to agree. With that said, he has been on a bit of a downward spiral ever since "Down to Earth" and "Black Rain" for the most part was awful. See, I think the Zakk/Ozzy stuff was great up through Ozzmosis. After that, it just got more, well, plain and basic.

I wonder how much of that was Ozzy or Sharon? Is she trying to convince him that his type of metal just doesn't work anymore?

I wonder how much of that was Ozzy or Sharon? Is she trying to convince him that his type of metal just doesn't work anymore?

I would probably say yes to that. Think about it, the time when "Down to Earth" came out was essentially the same time "The Osbournes" debuted. This is a problem when your wife is your manager, so I am worried about the next album especially after the previous one. It also could just be that he's old and has run out of ideas.

As far as people's perception of Ozzy. They are not very accurate. He is a much brighter person than he is given credit. I don't get why he does things like "The Osbournes" or those stupid phone commercials which obviously are making him seem dumber than he is. This is Sharon too, but what I don't get is why she would want her husband to be seen this way. Ugh. I love the guy, but he seriously needs to give it up and maybe just do guest appearances or help other bands.

Let Gus come in and do what he does best...
What does Gus do best? He's a strong player and a solid showman, but it's not like he has an original sound. Every band he's been a member of has been horribly generic.

Honestly, I'm not sure what anyone is expecting out of this collaboration. A 61 year old, burnt out drug addict, who couldn't sing when he was in his prime, and a guitar player whose never demonstrated he can't create anything original. The idea that they were even flirting with a CD title like "Soul Sucka" is an indication of the level of creativity at work here. And in all fairness, hasn't it been 30 years since Ozzy released a great album (Diary of a Madman)? Hell, Ozzy practically makes Queensryche seem relevant. :loco:

Zod