Painting guitars?

Extortae

New Metal Member
May 7, 2002
I was thinking about coloring the pickguard of my fender strat. Has anyone here ever done this?

Does anyone know what the process should be? Any specific kind of paints? Is the scratchboard actually painted, or is it just a piece of colored plastic?

Thanks!

<b>Update</b>: It seems that pickguards can be purchased for strats....I wonder if it would be cheaper to get buy the guard or to buy paints/brushes?? =)

Yeah I have painted the pickguard of my guitar. It was initially white, and I sprayed it black, then put white vines around the outside, and two skulls facing left and right below the pick ups. It stays on, and has for about 6 months now without any flaking or chipping, and no I did not use varnish.

I used Citadel Miniatures paints I had left sitting around from when I used to paint Warhammer figures. If you're not familiar with them go to www.games-workshop.com and you can find out about it. The paint is really great stuff thoughm dries in 5 minutes, it's water proof once dry, and can be painted over without too much trouble if you don't like your first colour or design.

hope this is some help, and good luck!