Pallar Anders Visa

hehe this question have been taken up here some times in the past. well its Swedish and it means something like Anders the stealer´s song . pallar means that you steal fruits and stuff like that from someone else´s garden. And visa is kind of a song but more of a story telling song. So pallar anders is a nick name and well the rest you got. Enjoy!

That real? I could have sworn that it meant "Showing another way" or something like that after spending some time with a vocabulary book... But since you're swedish I'll probably just have to believe you =)

I remember when the official IF board existed here. Someone asked this same question and this guy answered with something along the lines of "Anders forgot his Visa card on a trip back to Sweden. The whole band was back home and had to record something in the meantime. Pallar Anders Visa basically means "Why did Anders forget his Visa?"".

Ahh good times :D

Hi,
As I see it the song title could be translated into two meanings;
1. First one is more of a question and would best be translated to: "Can Anders handle Visa?"
2. The other one where "Pallar" is a synonym to steal, but a less offensive one and so to say more mild word for stealing.
So the translation would then be:"Is Anders Stealing Visa?"

These are simply my opinion and how I would translate the title, I hope I have enlightened your day.
//An In Flames loving Swede :p

No Glassbilen, not really. It can mean a bunch of different things..

1. Pallar = synonym to steal, or a slang word for being arsed to do something (orka in swedish)
2. Anders = Can only be the name
3. Visa = Can be a VISA card, Visa as in a song, often a story telling song, and it can also mean ''show'' or ''showing'' in Swedish as well.
But the correct translation is ''Anders the filcher's song'' (Filcher is a translation of the swedish word palla). The other examples like ''Is Anders Stealing Visa'' is wrong, cause that means there would have to be a question mark there, which there isn't.

Hope that cleared something up..

The literal translation is wrong. here's the real one:

Pallars-Anders is a name, it's just that they have switched the first and the last names (The name is Anders Pallars).

This is a lament from a prison cell at Gävle Castle. The song got sung sometime in the 1800s by a miserable murderer and father from Karsjö, Järvsö.

Credit goes to youtube user woote

The literal translation is wrong. here's the real one:

Pallars-Anders is a name, it's just that they have switched the first and the last names (The name is Anders Pallars).

This is a lament from a prison cell at Gävle Castle. The song got sung sometime in the 1800s by a miserable murderer and father from Karsjö, Järvsö.

Credit goes to youtube user woote
That seems ridiculously far-fetched. And also, the songs name isn't PALLARS Anders Visa, it's Pallar Anders. Which means that they can't have switched the first and the last names, because then the guys name would be Anders Pallar.

That seems ridiculously far-fetched. And also, the songs name isn't PALLARS Anders Visa, it's Pallar Anders. Which means that they can't have switched the first and the last names, because then the guys name would be Anders Pallar.

Actually, it's not that far-fetched. Back in the day a lot of Swedes had surnames directly corresponding to what line of work they were in. With the passing of the years these names change, some more subtly than others. For example, if you had a guy way back when whose name was Björn and who worked as a blacksmith, he would be Smed-Björn (literally Smithy-Björn). Now, maybe he would want to take Smed as his surname adding only an -S, thus Björn SMEDS. He'd still be called Smed-Björn, not Smeds-Björn. The first part of his nickname would retain the actual MEANING of his profession as opposed to reflecting his actual surname.

Get it?

Actually, it's not that far-fetched. Back in the day a lot of Swedes had surnames directly corresponding to what line of work they were in. With the passing of the years these names change, some more subtly than others. For example, if you had a guy way back when whose name was Björn and who worked as a blacksmith, he would be Smed-Björn (literally Smithy-Björn). Now, maybe he would want to take Smed as his surname adding only an -S, thus Björn SMEDS. He'd still be called Smed-Björn, not Smeds-Björn. The first part of his nickname would retain the actual MEANING of his profession as opposed to reflecting his actual surname.

Get it?

You know, I'm actually Swedish so I already knew all of that. I'm just saying that his theory was wrong, and I already explained how it was.

I forgot this part of the comment

"An S has disappeared in the title, it should be Pallars-Anders visa, not Pallar-Anders visa."

If anything your theory about Visa cards is ridiculously far-fetched lol. Unless you have proof :D

Edit: I found this after a quick google search

Darkstar: What does "Pallar Anders Visa" mean?

Björn: It's an old Swedish traditional song. Really old. "Pallar Anders" is a name, but it means "Anders, the guy who steals apples" and it's his song. I don't know how to translate it.

I don't know what to make of that answer, sounds like he confirms both of our theories lol

I forgot this part of the comment

"An S has disappeared in the title, it should be Pallars-Anders visa, not Pallar-Anders visa."

If anything your theory about Visa cards is ridiculously far-fetched lol. Unless you have proof :D

Edit: I found this after a quick google search

I don't know what to make of that answer, sounds like he confirms both of our theories lol
What Björn mean is what I've said, that it just means ''Anders the stealer's/filcher's song'', and that there is no real meaning behind the songs name.