palmer/load box

noarin

Producer / Engineer
Apr 16, 2006
hey guys,

I'm looking for a nice load box/speaker simulator. In the studio I'll use the load and impulses anyway but for live we're using the koch load box II at the moment (from our engineer) but I want to get one myself as well... Which can be recommended? Have heard some nice clips of the palmer pga04! I like that the palmers are 19" 1U rack space.. which do you guys prefer? the load box or the palmers?

also, can someone (experienced with the models) give me a quick rundown of the options of the pdi03 and the pga04 and how they change the sound?

thanks guys!

Just get a HotPlate or MASS and use impulses. Those speaker simulators will sound like wet, moldy ass for high gain tracks. On a good day. If you pay them extra and sugar them up a bit.

Jeff

hmm, I disagree, since the hotplate and palmer pdi03 cost exactly the same (360 euro's), I figure I'd rather have a palmer or a load box with speaker simulation for live use; as I've said; these things are working out great for us live at the moment (we're not THAT high-gain) just wondering about the sound of the palmer compared to the load box; I'm thinking about getting the pdi03 since I've heard nice results out of them (Zorran's soundclick: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=147856&songID=6248092) plus the palmers are 19" 1U which is more practical for me.

thanks

Problem is, that's not only going to involve some serious hardware for attenuation, it'll also require that I basically have a fully functioning computer with excellent pres and converters inside that little box, and on top of that write an operating system, audio system, and tools for actually implementing the impulse application without using closed-source software... it seems like something the market should have until we consider what's actually involved. I may be a masochistic audio and electronics nerd who doesn't sleep, interact well with others, or possess the ability to be comfortable with not knowing something important... but I'm not that fucked up.

I'd just get some sort of attenuator (I was pulling the HotPlate out because it's affordable over here, I'm sure there's a more suitably priced attenuator on your side of the pond) and use a laptop live.

Jeff

I thought about that a lot, as I really wanted something that would do that sort of thing and speaker simulation was just awful beyond reason, but it isn't plausible right now.

Since I'm still using SS exclusively, though, I don't need to worry about that at all... I win.

Jeff

I've read that the "battleship grey" one without the serial number would be the original one or the reissue, so the link above should be fine right?