Pat O'Brien Vs Steve Smyth

Pat O'Brien vs Steve Smyth

• Total voters

Mike

Jan 11, 2004
Denzel, WA.
Dont think of Smyth as a replacement for O'Brien, think of each guitarist adding their own sound to Nevermore.

i dont know as much of pat's stuff with nevermore, but i love steve's work with nevermore, i mean tell me that fuckin riff to a future uncertain isnt badass... and i caught steve's pick at the show last month, so, that helps.

Well, Pat was on Politics of Ecstacy and POE rules, BUT I've heard a lot more of what Steve can do, like in Dragonlord and Vicious Rumors. Not taking anything from O'Brien, but Steve just does it better.

steve's good at melodic stuff, i.e. the solos for sell my heart for stones and a future uncertain. Not to mention he NAILS the first part of the inside four walls solo. I love the fact that jeff lets him take that bit, and then jeff does the other part.

Nevermore:cry: *tear*

I guess Steve is cool, but I'm against anyone who takes any of Jeff's solo time away. Cool to have another rythym guitarist and songwriter, but I can never get enough of Jeff's lead work. Jeff is GOD.

hard to say as steve has only contributed to one album, and im not really sure what each of them specifically contributed....but i like poe and in memory more than tge so i guess pat.

at the CM Christmas Ball thing, Jeff and Steve had a guitar duel of sorts. WD wanted Jeff to play Eruption and he played like five seconds of it...then Steve took over and just totally destroyed Jeff...it was pretty awesome

the phish said:
BUT... there will come a time when Jeff and steve will have the epic solo duel that ive been waiting so desperately for. oh man Steve is going to need to step up his game.

Jeff would be the one needing to step up.

Steve's contributions so far have been good, but I like Pat's style much more. He brought a lot of complexity and brutality to Politics, after studying his stlye in his work with Cannibal Corpse I'm convinced that most of my favorite riffs on that album are Pat's. His lead style is very unique as well.
Also, Pat's Cannibal Corpse stuff >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dragonforce and Testament.

Seasons_Of_Destruction said:
Cannibal Corpse fails. Anyway, Steve isn't in DragonForce, he was in DragonLORD, you silly boy!

Bah, whatever. Have you even heard anything from O'Brien era CC? How can you listen to songs like Sanded Faceless, Hacksaw Decapitation, and Ecstasy in Deacyand honestly say that's not damn good metal?