Patchbays - Bantam or 1/4" ?

_Brutalism_

May 14, 2008
I was wondering which patchbays do you guys use? I know the Bantams are better quality but won't it be a hassle for the soldering? I was taught that its best to get a very patient individual who is good at soldering when dealing with your first bantam jack patchbay.

Do the 1/4" s do the job if the cables are good enough?

I heard some old school guys like 1/4" better because there is more surface area in the connector or something. Haha. Seems kind of mystical to me, and honestly I can't hear a difference. However, if there really is a quality difference, you might as well suck it up and do what's better in the long run. Some great studios get by with 1/4" though.

YES, soldering will be an ENORMOUS hassle.

As far as cable quality goes, a coathanger will pass signal just fine, as referenced by a recent blind-test shootout, "Monster Cable vs Coathanger"...can't remember where I read about that - gearslutz I think...The audiophiles couldn't tell the difference.

Anyway, the main things to think about if you go 1/4" are that you'll have to buy twice as many connectors (to connect to the patchbay). Also, you'll end up having to buy more patchbays as you expand your studio because there are about twice as many patch points crammed into a TT as there are in a 1/4.

Go TT, if only for the sexiness factor. ;)

And buy cable from Redco.

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes, TT would be more efficient in the long run however getting someone to solder for me in my country is an even bigger hassle than buying leads. Also, the bantam leads are more expensive no? Do you guys solder your own TT bays because even though I practiced a bit of soldering, and I know people who do, I'm not willing to take the risk to trust someone else to do it and am definitely not willing to mess something up myself. 1/4" in my eyes would be an easier option. I'll definitely colour-code everything and seperate patch bays neatly, but as far as the expense goes, I seriously think that getting bantams and TT bays would be more expensive.

The site I use sells TT bays at 400 euros whilst a modest 1/4" patch bay is 40 euros ( talking about the Neutrik ones from thomann.com for the Europeans).

Even though its 24 for the 1/4 vs 96 for the TT, I calculated that 4 1/4" patchbays to cover 1 TT bay would only cost me 120 as opposed to the 400.

Now the leads come in, well, the TT would be more efficient since the back would be done with normal copper wires whilst the 1/4" bay would need more 1/4" jacks like the front. Am I getting this right?

So, I see your point Ben, and in the longrun it will definitely be a hard knock.

I guess it comes down to analysing more or less all the patchbays I think I'll need once I have an approximation of the gear I am going to need for my studio and evaluating the difference.

Cheers again!

yup, and 1/4 are actually better quality, all other factors being equal. more conducting surface. bantam came into use with large studios that have literally up to a few hundred patch-points, as their smaller size saves patch-bay real estate.

it's also easier to patch other things in and out on a 1/4" every time I've been to a studio with bantam, I had to make cables to plug my pres in....Fuck that!

There is a quite a few db-25 based TT patchbays nowadays i personally use the redco for my pres and other patching in my room. My mic lines are still old fashion solder... and believe me i'd love to change it but i just dont have the time. I once rewired the studio with all solder patch bays and it took me 10 days!

Check out these patchbays, not the cheapeast but it litterally took me about 45mins to set up as opposed to 10 days, haha.

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=634&template=tmp_popup.htm

we also have the switchcraft bays in the other room, they are super solid.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StuPatch6425/