__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Paths Of Possession – Promises In Blood
Metalblade Records – 2005
By Russell Garwood

PoP.jpg

Paths Of Possession are best known as a side project of Cannibal Corpse thanks to vocalist George Fisher a.k.a. Corpsegrinder. The band’s sophomore album Promises In Blood is about as Swedish as Ikea, meatballs and Abba, if the antithesis of the latter in terms of music. Good, old fashioned melodeath blasts out of your speakers you hit the play button with this CD; nothing revolutionary, and definitely nothing complex, but entertaining stuff nevertheless.

Hummable riffs flow freely, with occasional heavier rhythm work providing some welcome variation. Prominent bass is often equally melodic, and provides groove, while the drums are straightforward and powerful. Corpsegrinder’s vocals have enough deviation from his standard to keep everything interesting, in a solid performance. Hence this is a decent release. The songs are enjoyable if forgettable, performances of a good standard, and writing cool. Yet there is nothing to set Promises In Blood apart from a glut of similar albums. For Cannibal Corpse fans who like the more tuneful side of death metal, it is definitely worth looking into, as well as melodeath fanatics, but if you have only a passing interest in the style, it is no such necessity. Good, consistent stuff ultimately flawed by lack of originality.

6/10

Official Paths Of Possession Website
Official Metalblade Website

Pretty spot-on review Russell; halfway through the disc I began realizing that the album wasn't going to vary even one iota. Great melodic lead guitars & rhythms, coupled with Corpsegrinder's vox make for a very interesting EP and a so-so CD.

I think I gave it a 7/10.

This is not an earth-shattering release, but a lot of people have been comparing it to Six Feet Under just because of the Cannibal Corpse vocal connection. This band is a lot more musically advanced than SFU and Fischer's vocals are very good. Plus, I love the cover!

A good start for a band, hopefully they will improve...

The thing is...it's not their "start." It's their 3rd release (counting a split release), Fisher only did it b/c he's friends with one of the guys in the band (if his interviews are to be believed).

While I would entirely agree that people would be 100% wrong to compare this to either SFU or Corpse, it's also worth mentioning that without his vocals, it's just another semi-forgettable melodic death metal record.