Pearl Jam's Four Night Stand in Philly

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I continue to be in awe. Pearl Jam continues to blow me away with what they give to the fans. *THAT* is how you mix a setlist.

pearljam.jpg

Somewhere on some forum somebody is bitching though.
'They played too much new stuff'
'Too much old stuff for me'
'Yeah well, I listened to them before that Jeremy video'
'I knew Jeremy'
'Your mom knew Jeremy'

I always have respected how Pearl Jam have successfully transitioned from a radio friendly commercial band to a touring "jam" band (that doesn't really play jam music, but you get the idea).

As much as I am rather "meh" to the music, I have a TON of respect for the Grateful Dead too, for playing multiple night stands in one city without repeating a song.

I would love to see Metallica have the ballz to do that.

I saw them in Philly on a night where they played the only 10 (Ten) songs they had. Infinitely better set list than any of those above.

Zod

I saw the show on VH-1 Classic about the re-issued Ten CD, and it showed some very old footage from that period. Man, they were great "back in the day". Eddie V was one of the great frontmen at the time, very energetic and rocking. Their "unplugged" episode was one of the greatest ever done. I gave up on them after they exploded, and Eddie continually looked and acted stoned or drunk or whatever in every interview or appearance I saw. Can anyone state how they are live nowadays?

I am impressed with any band that continually shakes up the setlists night after night. How hard can it be? I mean, this is what you do for a living. The least you could do is be able to play any and all of your own songs at anytime.

I saw the show on VH-1 Classic about the re-issued Ten CD, and it showed some very old footage from that period. Man, they were great "back in the day". Eddie V was one of the great frontmen at the time, very energetic and rocking. Their "unplugged" episode was one of the greatest ever done. I gave up on them after they exploded, and Eddie continually looked and acted stoned or drunk or whatever in every interview or appearance I saw. Can anyone state how they are live nowadays?

I am impressed with any band that continually shakes up the setlists night after night. How hard can it be? I mean, this is what you do for a living. The least you could do is be able to play any and all of your own songs at anytime.

I saw Pearl Jam twice a couple of years ago open 2 nights for Tom Petty. They were both great shows. Pearl Jam rotated the setlist both nights. Very few repeats, from what I remember. Tom Petty only rotated 2 or 3 songs. I thought Pearl Jam were better than Tom Petty, and that is who I mainly went to see.

Bands in our genre could learn something from Pearl Jam about giving the fans what they want. If I had a nickel for every power metal band that wouldn't play an old fan favorite just because they didn't feel like it anymore...

They've done this before and now its just becoming the norm with the 4 night stands in major cities. The 10/31 show is now the second longest show in their history just a few songs behind the Mansfield, MA show on 7/11/03. I stand corrected on that one.

You have to wonder what they have left in the bag for next year when the regular US tour starts since there are very few unplayed songs left in their catalog. Unless its a full album all the way through like Binaural turns 10 years old next year. Ten gets a proper 20th Anniversary in 2011.

I think EDGUY is the guiltiest party in the scene for laziness when it comes to setlists, to the point where I have completely written them off.

Even though I haven't written them off, Sonata Arctica may be tied with Edguy. I saw them on the east coast, west coast, and the midwest and I don't think they changed 1 song. Oh well.

I think EDGUY is the guiltiest party in the scene for laziness when it comes to setlists, to the point where I have completely written them off.

When I saw them on the Rocket Ride tour, I thought their setlist was pretty good. Haven't seen them on the recent tour though. Did they play many off the new one? That would suck because the new album sucks. haha.

Pearl Jam was the first band that I really became a fan of. They really give everything that they have at every show. I have seen them 7 times, and it is fantastic every time.

They realized that their fans wanted bootlegs of their shows, so they gave it to us. Every show since 2000 is recorded and made available in stores or through their fan club. Since they have such an extensive live catalog, they actually let the fans choose the songs for their upcoming Rock Band game too. They had 60 plus songs listed and 5-8 versions of each song. The fans got to choose which ones they wanted, and I can not wait until it become available.

This is what every band should aspire to do. It is also why I love Dream Theater so much. They change it up, and make live material available for the fans. To me, they are the best two bands in the world.