Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Ozzy

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Dio

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters

Acdcpwns

Jan 3, 2009
Can anyone help me...for the longest time i have not been able to decide who the best metal front man is. Im down to either Rob Halford, Ozzy Osbourne, or Ronnie James Dio. Now if your going to answer dont go with your favorite band obviously. All the guys(and more) are awesome and have done so much so there really isnt the best i just want opinions.

exactly what i was thinking which is why i cant decide lol halford could possibly be the most influential, considering what priest did but then u can also say ozzy was more influential in the sabbath days

i like Queensrÿche but idk if i could really put them up there in my top 5 best metal bands or at least for this pole

Are we s'posed to vote for them as they perform currently, or in their prime? Regardless, I can't vote against RJD

First in their prime they were three very different frontmen live. As singers RJD and RH beat Ozzy any given day even on his best day. If we refer to the present day, I will say Dio preserves better his voice, Halford is more flamboyant, and Ozzy is worthless. As for dynamism on stage today, I guess RJD and RB are very good handling the audience, Ozzy just curses and jumps, boring IMO. After all there's a good reason Iommi and company decided to call Dio and pursue as HAH instead of begging Ozzy (read Sharon) to do something as BS.

Now personally, and since the poll only allowed one vote, I did it for Halford based basically on historical/sentimental reasons.

If we refer to the present day, I will say Dio preserves better his voice, Halford is more flamboyant, and Ozzy is worthless.

I wouldn't call the Halford of today very flamboyant as he barely moves around at all. His voice is going down as well and he seems to be moving to Ozzy-land pretty fast, sadly.
Dio (the oldest of the bunch btw) is still as great as ever though. He was never one for acrobatics but he has that commanding aura around him and the voice has aged very well too. He can still pull off any song from his back catalogue which is not the case with Halford.

But as desert_demon said, Dickinson is missing from the list and he'd get my vote for sure, whether it's now or the golden days we're talking about. As a matter of fact now just might be his golden days, he was very convincing when I saw him last July. He actually sounded a lot better than on the last few studio albums, in the high notes especially. Loud and clear, no strain. When it comes to showmanship, he's always been a perfect 10.

From old youtube videos (I'm a young un) Halford was the best once. Never seen any of them live.

Halford was a great frontman... Ozzy sucks, always did and always will... Dio rules. That said Im with pounding metal, no one has come close to Tate in voice or presentation. Find the old black and white footage of some really early gig they did like around '84 on you tube. Another awesome metal vocalist/frontman is Russell Allen from Symphony X, the guy really puts it all out there on stage. Not exactly metal but Nugent was a monster on stage.

I wouldn't call the Halford of today very flamboyant as he barely moves around at all.

It's a point but I was meaning his modern attire mostly, compared to the early 80's.

Anyway, as Dickinson the original poster made it clear he wants those three only. If we're going to talk about other vocalists I can name some that sound spectacular live too.

I believe we had threads like these by the tons in the past, and we all come down to the same point in the end...out own perception and favorites :D

It's a point but I was meaning his modern attire mostly, compared to the early 80's.

Anyway, as Dickinson the original poster made it clear he wants those three only. If we're going to talk about other vocalists I can name some that sound spectacular live too.

I believe we had threads like these by the tons in the past, and we all come down to the same point in the end...out own perception and favorites :D

exactly i was just interested on what people would say...those are my three favorite bands..(acdc at the top but not gunna go into detail with vocals there) for some reason i like to stress vocals rather then guitar/drums/other even tho i am a guitarist, mostly just curiosity