Peter Gabriel fans?

Nightmare_Heaven

Death Disco
Feb 14, 2008
Under a southern sky
Anybody? I think he's just about my favourite artist of all time, loved his music since I was a wee bastard, no denying the influence he's had on modern music through his interest and experimentation with music technology, pioneering in every aspect from album art to music videos, mixing exotic world music with more popular rock and pop, and his uncanny ability to write fucking BRILLIANT songs.

Don't know who he is? "Sledgehammer". Know who he is now? Good. That seems to be the big hit just about everybody has heard.

Obviously he's known for hits like "Sledgehammer" and "In Your Eyes" (featured in that film Say Anything), but I can't pass over his more obscure first 4 self titled albums from the late 70s/early 80s, including his incredible third and fourth records, 1989's otherworldly "Passion" film soundtrack, and 1992's "Us", and album bursting with raw and honest emotion which remains just about my favourite album of all time ever.

Any fans here, make yourselves known!

peter_gabriel.jpg

:worship:notworthy:headbang:

If you like prog rock, I'd recommend his stuff with Genesis (Trespass, Selling England By the Pound, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway). If you want to check out his solo stuff, these are how his albums pan out:

His first four solo albums (called 1,2,3 and 4; or, alternatively, Car, Scratch, Melt, and Security) are very prog rock, but get gradually more electronic and poppy as they go. Each one is great, but I personally like the first one the best. Robert Fripp plays guitar on it, and the music is powerhouse (namely "Moribund the Burgermeister," "Solsbury Hill," "Humdrum," "Waiting For the Big One," "Down the Dolce Vita," and "Here Comes the Flood").

His following three records are very poppy and mainstream, but they are still each unique in their own way; and actually, I probably listen to those more than the first four.

So- the big turning point in his solo career; great pop rock; has "Red Rain," "In Your Eyes," "Don't Give Up," "Sledgehammer," "Big Time," and my personal favorite "Mercy Street" (the most soothing song I've ever heard)
Us- more great soft pop, slightly more consistent than So
Up- great pop and rock, a bit heavier than the previous two
OVO- special project album; lots of guest stars, and a concept album; really weird at times, but still Gabriel all the way

Honestly, I'd maintain that his entire discography is very consistent and interesting. He's most recently put out a world music album called Big Blue Ball that is very good. But...

If you're looking for a good place to start, I'd recommend getting his first solo album and So. If you like Car, you'll like his next three records, and if you like So, you'll like all the albums that follow that.