Phantomsmasher - s/t

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Phantomsmasher
s/t
Ipecac

Hmmm . . . most people reading this are probably unfamiliar with Phantomsmasher for two reasons. One: the band used to be called Atomsmasher; two: this type of music is so extreme and obscure, it frightens away listeners after the first three seconds. So . . . without getting too anal, I’ll try to put this music/chaos into some category or genre. Extreme technoise . . . no . . . avant-garde jazz-grind . . . no . . . insanity at the speed of sound . . . no, I’ve got it . . . sonic chaos.

James Plotkin (most notably known for his recent extreme doom outing, Khanate), D.J. Speedranch, and Dave Witte have created an extreme form of music unlike anything else I’ve heard. Combine the free form movements of jazz-fusion, the blast beats of grindcore, and the vocals of some psycho alien life form; process it though Satan’s digital recording studio and you’re probably going to understand where Phantomsmasher is coming from. James Plotkin is the primary mastermind behind the project. His unique guitar licks, riffs, and drones create the basic structure of each song; while he then takes every sound recorded and alters it to his demented pleasure via wave editing.

Like last year’s Atomsmasher, this album is very dense and chaotic; however, I feel like Phantomsmasher is actually slightly more assessable. Perhaps I’ve grown immune to this extreme chaos after repeated listens to both Atomsmasher and Phantomsmasher, or perhaps a few live performances by the band have helped them refine their sound. Nonetheless, Phantomsmasher still ranks as the most extreme music on the planet.

With song titles like “Anubis Innertube”, “Digit Dirt”, and “The Pelvic Thrust”, I think Phantomsmasher is as much about tongue-in-cheek psychosis as it is about insane sonic innovation. For fans of true originality and innovation, or for fans of extreme technoise, this is the album of the year. For the light hearted mainstream metal masses, give this album a chance; you’ll never be the same afterwards.

10/10

Great review... seems like everything James Plotkin touches turns to gold anyway... :D
"For the light hearted mainstream metal masses, give this album a chance; you’ll never be the same afterwards." - LOL, yeah, that's true, and they'll let you use knives and forks again after a couple of years, assuming you're not still bouncing off the walls of your padded cell... :lol: