PHILIP ANSELMO Says EN MINOR Project Will Include Some Of The First Songs He Has Ever Written

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Former PANTERA singer Philip Anselmo spoke to The Void Report about his new project called EN MINOR. The band, which is influenced by the classic goth period of the '80s with artists like THE CURE and SISTERS OF MERCY, will release its long-completed debut album later this year via Anselmo's Housecore Records. "It's way different— completely different," Anselmo said. "And I do mean from an absolute flip-flopping of genres, yes, it's absolutely different. But the more I think about it, the more I think that with certain bands I've done in the past… hell, PANTERA, DOWN, and others I could probably mention, but primarily and especially PANTERA and DOWN, we've done mellow songs before, we've done clean guitar songs before, we've done minor-key songs before. So there's been glimpses. I'm not saying production-wise it's going to be the same. EN MINOR is very stripped down. And there's a very free dynamic of instrument use. The odd sound is good. We're looking for that. It's something that we thrive on. Whether it be, oh, say… electronic sounds or organic sounds with bizarre instruments, that's great. Or even traditional instruments that I am definitely not known for at all. But it's stuff I've done all my life that people would never have guessed. A lot of these EN MINOR songs have grown up with me my entire life. Some of the first songs I have ever written." Philip's solo project, PHILIP H. ANSELMO & THE ILLEGALS, has just released its sophomore album, "Choosing Mental Illness As A Virtue", via Anselmo's Housecore Records in the U.S. and Season Of Mist in other parts of the world. The disc is the follow-up to PHILIP H. ANSELMO & THE ILLEGALS' debut, "Walk Through Exits Only", which came out in 2013 to mostly positive reviews. Anselmo will undergo back surgery this week — the latest in a line of corrective procedures designed to helped him deal with the damage to his back, neck, and knees sustained over two decades of touring.

Continue reading...