Pickups for Recording

Krenzathal

Sep 11, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi all,

I'm not happy with the stock pickups in my Schecter 7 string. They are fine in the rehearsal studio with my 6505 but for recording it's just not cutting it. The tone always comes out dull, muddy and farty with not much sustain no matter how I EQ or compress it.

I'm using amp sims and Impulses and I've got some great settings courtesy of the guys in the Sneap forum, but it still sounds a bit manky so I've narrowed the problem down to the pickups and/or the leads I'm using. Leads aren't a problem but I'm wondering what pickup to go for.

I've always been a fan of Duncans, I have one in my six string and it's a great all rounder for live and it's ok for recording but I need something more specific.

I'm tempted by EMGs but, a few opinions/recommendations would be nice!

Cheers!

I'd say go for:

Dimarzio PAF Pros
Seymour Duncan Blackouts
EMG81s with the 18V mod (HIGHLY recommended, it sounds so much better)

My band is currently recording right now, and we've finished the rhythm guitar tracks. To which I used the stock Gibson pickups in my explorer, but for the 2nd layer and leads and solos, I'll be switching to my Jackson Kelly Star loaded with EMG81s with the 18V mod. My other guitarist will be using his Custom Gibson Les Paul which has Dimarzio PAF Pros.

No worries dude, I hope you like it. I used to use EMGs without the mod and loathed the sound. It was shrill, scooped and didn't cut through the mix properly which made me start using my Jackson Dinky which was loaded with the JB and Jazz. I decided to take a leap of faith and try out the 18V mod and was completely sold after that. I've got an 81 and 85 with the mod on my Rhoads and 2x81s with the mod on my Kelly Star. :D

I really like EMGs as well, but for the best sound in my opinion, go with the Dimebucker. Used by Dimebag himself. Has a really clean sound, put a extremely dirty tone. The are a little pricey, but worth every penny.