Pink Floyd reunion

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
This'll provide the kick in the bum I need to complete their discography, I'm only missing a few.

dee dink dankda ndaknl

Pink Floyd's classic Seventies lineup -- bassist/frontman Roger Waters, guitarist David Gilmour, keyboardist Richard Wright and drummer Nick Mason -- will take the stage for the first time in more than two decades at London's Hyde Park on July 2nd as part of the Live 8 concerts.

"Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context," Gilmour said, "and if reforming for this concert will help focus attention then it's going to be worthwhile."

Since creative issues led to the band's acrimonious split with Waters, the chief architect of 1973's Dark Side of the Moon and 1979's The Wall, he has pursued a solo career while Gilmour assumed leadership of the group. (Waters tried unsuccessfully in 1986 to prevent Gilmour and Co. from continuing as Pink Floyd without him. He had replaced founding Floyd singer Syd Barrett as the band's leader in 1968.) July 2nd will mark the first time this lineup has performed together since 1981.

Waters, long at work on a follow-up to 1992's solo album, Amused to Death, recently completed an opera, Ca Ira, targeted for a fall release. Gilmour has been at work on his third studio album, his first in more than twenty years.

This April, Mason hinted of a reunion, telling Rolling Stone that Pink Floyd were not ready to call it a day -- even after an eleven-year hiatus. "Last year [David] really had no interest in revitalizing the band," he said. "But I think it's interesting that he also hasn't declared it over. No one has actually said 'never again.'" He went on to add, "We did all make each other laugh. The bulk of the years was spent having a good time. It's still about the best job in the world."

In addition to the London show, Live 8 concerts featuring artists from Stevie Wonder to Jay-Z and Green Day will take place simultaneously in Philadelphia, Paris, Berlin and Rome.

Failed calendar reading class did we? Oh, you were making a "clever" 100% METAL NO OTHER MUSIC EXISTS comment. I get it. :rolleyes: EDIT: Hmm, the somewhat rude comment disappeared.

Man, I hate eGay concert ticket scalpers, fucking assholes:

EBay Withdraws Tickets for Live 8 Concert

LONDON - The Internet auction site eBay will withdraw tickets for the London Live 8 concert from sale, a company official said Tuesday, after organizer Bob Geldof said the sale was despicable. The concert was organized to highlight poverty in Africa, and the tickets are free.

More than 100 pairs of tickets, however, began appearing earlier Tuesday on the eBay auction site at high prices. Some attracted bids of up to 1,000 pounds ($1,800), prompting Geldof to call for a boycott of eBay Inc.

"The people who are selling these tickets on Web sites are miserable wretches who are capitalizing on people's misery," the musician said.

Later Tuesday, eBay Managing Director Doug McCallum said the company would take the tickets off its auction site, although the company said reselling charity concert tickets was not illegal in Britain.

"We've listened carefully to our customers," McCallum told Britain's ITV television. "Overwhelmingly the voice is that they would like us to take down the listing."

Geldof said he was glad eBay was removing the tickets from auction.

"Well done for taking them down," Geldof told Sky News. "But it was despicable, and they should have thought about it before they did this."

There are a total of 150,000 tickets for the show in London's Hyde Park — one of several Live 8 concerts being held July 2 also in Philadelphia, Paris, Berlin and Rome.

More than 2 million people have applied by text message for London tickets, making it history's largest text-message lottery, according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

I'm missing Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma, Saucerful of Secrets, More, and... I think that's it. Oh, and Obscured by Clouds. Atom Heart Mother is next, I buy like one Floyd album a year so I can absorb them.

Talking with a dude on the WRX forum I frequent about this, he saw Floyd on the Animals tour in 1976, snapped this here photo years later:

animals.jpg

:worship:

It's the Battersea Power Station, yes.

And also about 15 minutes from my house in London. I would see it everyday from the train on the way into work. They don't know what to do with the fucker.

One Inch Man said:
I'm missing Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma, Saucerful of Secrets, More, and... I think that's it. Oh, and Obscured by Clouds. Atom Heart Mother is next, I buy like one Floyd album a year so I can absorb them.

Out of those, I like Saucerful and Obscured (the underrated dry run for Dark Side) the best, but AHM is essential for the title track (Kubrick wanted to use it in Clockwork Orange) and Ummagumma for the live disc and the demented mumbling in the track with the sixteen-word title. :)