PLACE VENDOME: Close To The Sun

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
PLACE VENDOME Album 'Close to the Sun' Due February 24

"...Frontiers Music Srl is excited to announce the release of the brand new PLACE VENDOME album, “Close to the Sun” on February 24th, 2017....
(Michael) Kiske and (Dennis) Ward wanted to make the album a little bit special, so besides the “usual suspects” (including drummer Dirk Bruinenberg, Vanden Plas’ ivory tinkler Gunter Werno and Pink Cream 69’s Uwe Reineauer on guitars), some guitar heavyweights appear on the recordings. The list includes Alfred Koffler and (of course) Uwe Reineauer of Pink Cream 69, Magnus Karlsson, Michael Klein, Gus G (Ozzy Osbourne, Firewind), Simone Mularoni, and Unisonic guitarists Kai Hansen and Mandy Meyer among the others..."

placevendome-closetothesun.jpg

Not loving the hereafter cover. The original by DGM much better in my opinion.

I used to be really excited about this band, now they are just ho hum.

Hereafter is my favorite DGM song. No, it's not as good as the original, but nice job making the song more of a melodic rock song and of course Michael Kiske can sing anything. Thrilled that they made the attempt. I realize most metal and hard rock bands draw from the 80s for their covers, but I'd really love to see modern bands try on each others' songs for size too.

I notice Frontiers really likes to reuse songs. I've got a few Frontiers releases where there's the same song on two different albums: "Tired of Dreaming" is on Brother Firetribe and the Magnificent, and "Thunder in Your Heart" is on a Stan Bush album and a Lionville album.