Playlist is getting stale, I'm starving for something new

Shadax

New Metal Member
Feb 11, 2008
So I listen to all sorts of different metal. People who are super technical about it won't be able to bite their tongue enough to say "THAT ISN'T METAL!" to some of the bands and I can understand where they're coming from, but hopefully I can still get a good recommendation from someone.

I definitely like rock and metal that's heavy and deep but has a good clean sound that's just fun to listen to. I know that's very subjective and general but maybe some examples would help.

I like Susperia (Cut From Stone) and stuff like Dry Kill Logic, Devildriver, In Flames, Soilwork (pre StabbingTD), Mendeed, Trivium (please ignore if that if you're gonna flame lol), All That Remains, Scar Symmetry, Diecast, and Sonic Syndicate. Hopefully some bands can come out of that for a recommendation! I know a lot of it's mainstream or borderline to it, but I definitely like it. Definitely Nuclear Blast, Century Media, Roadrunner Records sorta stuff (but I hate Lamb Of God, Hatebreed, and Slipknot if that helps).

On a separate side of the spectrum I'm also a huge fan of Kalmah, Graveworm, Opeth, The Absence, etc which is a totally different sound from the rest I mentioned. So just anything that I'm missing out on that falls in either of those clusters of bands would be great!!

Thanks! :headbang:

So, the Gothenburg melodeath?
Would help if you said what IF stuff - old stuff is very different from new. From the other bands you named, though, I'm gonna guess new...so, get the old stuff like The Jester Race and Subterranean.

Try these:
Kataklysm - In The Arms Of Devastation
Dark Tranquility - The Gallery
Dark Tranquility - Fiction
Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
Amon Amarth - Once Sent From The Golden Hall
Orphaned Land - Mabool
Kreator - Enemy Of God
Kreator - Violent Revolution
Wintersun - Wintersun
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
At The Gates - With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness
Carcass - Heartwork
Shadows Fall - The War Within
Shadows Fall - Fallout From The War

Especially the Shadows Fall, Kreator, and Amon Amarth. Also, you basically have to get Slaughter of the Soul by AtG - required listening.

EDIT: And while you're at it, check out Children of Bodom. You'll probably love them.

You'd like the new Soilwork, tbh. It's their most "return to form" album...it sounds like a flatter version of NBC combined with the best aspects of their later/rockier sound. Good shit, they even got back some of the awesome instrumental sections, and Dirk as always kicks ass at drums.

Some random melo-death to check out:

Holymarsh
In Thy Dreams
Blinded Colony
Sonic Syndicate (first album)
Fragments Of Unbecoming
Illdisposed
Kalmah
Mors Principium Est - Inhumanity
Detonation

Would help if you said what IF stuff - old stuff is very different from new. From the other bands you named, though, I'm gonna guess new...

agreed.

I wont bother to list anything I'd recommend to a fan of pre-Whoracle In Flames/not a fan of hardcore/metalcore

As Hope Dies
Anata
Arch Enemy
Beyond The Embrace
Children Of Bodom
Godgory
Hatesphere
Imperanon
NonExist
The Haunted
Dark Lunacy
and two SuidAkrA albums, Command To Charge and Signs For The Fallen (people who don't much like gothenburg tend to prefer their earlier albums, of a more folk/black metal style)

So I listen to all sorts of different metal. People who are super technical about it won't be able to bite their tongue enough to say "THAT ISN'T METAL!" to some of the bands and I can understand where they're coming from, but hopefully I can still get a good recommendation from someone.

I definitely like rock and metal that's heavy and deep but has a good clean sound that's just fun to listen to. I know that's very subjective and general but maybe some examples would help.

I like Susperia (Cut From Stone) and stuff like Dry Kill Logic, Devildriver, In Flames, Soilwork (pre StabbingTD), Mendeed, Trivium (please ignore if that if you're gonna flame lol), All That Remains, Scar Symmetry, Diecast, and Sonic Syndicate. Hopefully some bands can come out of that for a recommendation! I know a lot of it's mainstream or borderline to it, but I definitely like it. Definitely Nuclear Blast, Century Media, Roadrunner Records sorta stuff (but I hate Lamb Of God, Hatebreed, and Slipknot if that helps).

On a separate side of the spectrum I'm also a huge fan of Kalmah, Graveworm, Opeth, The Absence, etc which is a totally different sound from the rest I mentioned. So just anything that I'm missing out on that falls in either of those clusters of bands would be great!!

Thanks! :headbang:

why don't you try some stuff that's really different from your favs then? Try some old Deicide or Nokturnal Mortum or Bathory or hell even some Judas Priest. Mix it up yo!:cool:

Try some of these
Vital Remains - Dechristianize
Bathory - Hammerheart
Running Wild - Death or Glory
Death - Sound of Perseverance
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Motorhead - Inferno

all great...pretty varied, nothing very similar to what you posted, but all good. I guarantee you'll like most of it...

Behemoth - Demigod
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
The Faceless - Akeldama
Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider/Burnt Offerings
Into Eternity - Buried in Oblivion
Mastadon - Blood Mountain/Leviathan (Which I doubt you have not heard them)
Moonspell - The Antidote
Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World/Politics of Ecstasy/Dreaming Neon Black
Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
Skeletonwitch - Beyond the Permafrost
Strapping Young Lad - City/Alien
Symphony X -Twilight in Olympus
Hypocrisy - The Arrival

Alot of those are good gateway albums to different genres. Didnt really put any bm on there though.