Please help me glue this together!

[UEAK]Clowd

Apr 29, 2008
www.gamesiren.com/fhd/bleggitybloobloo.mp3

OK - I've been from the bottom to top with this mix more times than I would like to and I'm running out of time with it, I need help from all you wonderful dudes!!!

I feel like I'm pretty close, but I just have two concerns with this mix:

1. It's not "glued".. I know everyone throws this term around like nothing and I feel like a lot of people don't really know what they are trying to say with it, but I can hear why this doesn't sound cohesive, why it's not smoothed over, why it doesn't have that "like a record" sound - but I can't figure out how to go about rectifying it for some reason.

2. I have a feeling this is a direct result of #1 - but I don't feel it has the "aggressiveness" or "energy" that it should. I'm hoping that once I can get everything all nice and stuck together that the energy will start hitting.

I'm compressing about 4-6db on the stereo bus, and I thought I had everything carved out nicely EQ-wise, but it's still not.... there.

any help is seriously appreciated, this could be a big one for me around my scene.

I'd say it's not that bad actually, it's just about levels I think. If everything sounds good at the same level, it should glue a little more.

First thing for me is that the kick is overpowering the mix. I like heavy kicks, but this is really too much. It pierces the mix too much.

Guitars a bit too high and are just a little too much piercing, I mean for my own tastes at least. The bass could maybe glue more with the guitars by being just a little more distorted, so that guitars and bass join together in the mid area. I think it could help for the "energy" by making it more a wall of sound. Maybe the bass is one or two db too low but I can't tell if it's because it's overpowered by the kick.

I like the vocals, you may wanna try lowering them just a few dB so that they don't stand out that much ?

That's my humble appreciation, actually it sounds already promising !

EDIT : maybe the guitars lack just a little "meat" somewhere. Maybe try hipassing a few hertz lower ?

Ya the mix is lacking some crucial low end which comes from the bass guitar mainly. i threw an analyzer on this and the bass guitar looks like its high passed at 100HZ. I usually get my kick sitting around 80hz and get the low end on the bass sitting at about 60 it give the entire mix some meat. Your kicks low end is at 40hz which most stereos cant produce tones below 60hz.

The entire mix just lacks low end in my opinion. Maybe a slight mastering reverb after you fix the low end to give it some more glue. But I really think of you nail the low end it will glue it all together for you.

thanks guys! weak bass guitar and too much kick has literally always been my weak spot. I love intense kicks and I think I go overboard pretty much every time lol :(

I'll mess around with that a bit more and post the results!

they are panned!! haha, that's why I don't get it... there's also a bunch of stereo room going on as well.

maybe if i turn down the mono room...?