Pls help: Jackson or Ibanez?

METALKIRK

New Metal Member
Feb 19, 2002
uk
Visit site
Hi there, ive been playing guitar for over 10 years and am finally looking to upgrade my guitar. I have not got a huge budget, id be looking around £550 max. The jackson guitar I have my eye on is a Jackson DKMG Dinky, so I was just wondering what is the equivalent guitar to that in the Ibanez range and which is better? what would you guys recommend? I mostly play rhythm but also do some lead; any help would be appreciated as im confused myself :) thanks

I mostly play rhythm but also do some lead; any help would be appreciated as im confused myself :) thanks

Imo, neither. For the same price you can get a PRS SE which in my experience owns any Jackson or Ibanez of the same price range.

That depends, really. What kind of genre are you playing? If you get a PRS, you're going to have to replace the pick ups soon for a really heavy sound. And the neck is thick so leads can be hard.

As for Jacksons and Ibanezes (first time I had to spell that plural), you get a thin neck, fairly good pick ups that could most likely fulfill your need for a heavy sound longer.

To Metalkirk: Please define more of what you want (sound, artists you want to sound like, etc)

I find PRS pickups WAY better than Jackson's and Ibanez'. The shredder-guitars have a really uninspired sound imo

I don't quite know my values in Euros, so I'm only guessing that the guitars he can get for that much from Ibanez and Jackson have pick ups by other companies.

Plus, PRS only makes good pick ups on models that aren't SE. I've played an SE SC and the sound couldn't compare to the Custom 22 or SC 250 I played later that day.

Of course, SE have completely different (and worse) pickups, but still, I think that they are better than the other two. I've seen PRS SE between 350$-550$, mine got 800€ but Italy is shit and on every musical instrument we get like 100% overprice.

Of course, SE have completely different (and worse) pickups, but still, I think that they are better than the other two. I've seen PRS SE between 350$-550$, mine got 800€ but Italy is shit and on every musical instrument we get like 100% overprice.

wow, whenever i look up prs guitars on ebay they are always like $1,000-3,000. but then i typed i PRS SE and found some actually decent prices. i have been wanting to get another guitar, i have an ibanez now, but are PRS SE better than ibanez?

wow, whenever i look up prs guitars on ebay they are always like $1,000-3,000. but then i typed i PRS SE and found some actually decent prices. i have been wanting to get another guitar, i have an ibanez now, but are PRS SE better than ibanez?

It allllll depends on what kind of sound you want. Go to a store, try out the guitars, and see what you like better. IMO people should test out lots of different guitars instead of asking about major guitar companies and assuming they are perfect for what they need. So go to your local dealer, spend a lengthy amount of time trying out EVERYTHING. You will find something that fits your style. :)

In my experience PRS beats the crap out of any Ibanez anyday... but try it for yourself, I'm not really reliable when it comes down to Ibanez :lol:

Yeah it's all personal preferance! Debates about guitars are rediculous, so in the end, it's all up to you and what you like better.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. The music I play is mostly Heavy: Metallica, Opeth, InFlames, Katatonia, Soundgarden, Audioslave,etc,etc so im after something with good chug and tone for that type of music.
The Jackson DKMG Dinky has EMG pickups by the way + Floyd Rose Tremolo. Hope this helps a bit?

The Jackson DKMG Dinky has EMG pickups by the way + Floyd Rose Tremolo. Hope this helps a bit?

This is where I'd take Ibanez over Jackson, ESP, etc. If it's a licensed Floyd Rose, you're going to have epic tuning problems, so be aware.

But as to what the others are saying, it's true that it comes to preference. I went to a guitar store the other day to try out some guitars I saw online only to pick up a Yamaha acoustic, yes, a Yamaha, and found it played really nice. So even the cheapest guitars can be nice to you.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. The music I play is mostly Heavy: Metallica, Opeth, InFlames, Katatonia, Soundgarden, Audioslave,etc,etc so im after something with good chug and tone for that type of music.

If you want a tremolo setup, that would pretty much rule out the PRS SEs. They're sweet guitars, and you can get an SE with a tremolo, but not a locking setup like the Floyd or the Edge on the Ibanez, which you're definitely going to want if you plan on doing a whole lot of harmonic screams or dive-bombs.

Also, for the sound you say you're looking for, and without having to change pickups right out of the gate, EMGs like the ones in the Jackson are pretty much gonna be the ticket. Check out the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, as well, similar features and price, excellent axe for the jack. You may also want to check out some of the ESP LTD series guitars like the MH-400, also with locking trem & EMGs.

The best advice anyone could give you though would be to make every effort to actually play as many of these guitars as possible before you make your decision, preferably through your own rig if you can swing it.

Good luck!

This is where I'd take Ibanez over Jackson, ESP, etc. If it's a licensed Floyd Rose, you're going to have epic tuning problems, so be aware.

Really? Are you saying this from experience or hearsay? If so, was the guitar a bolt-on or a set-neck/neck-thru? Not sure about the "licensed" Floyds, but I know my original Floyd-equipped USA Soloist has legendary tuning stability! I've owned two other original Floyd axes, an old Kramer Nightswan and a Warmoth Frankenstrat, and never had tuning problems with either.

Still, results may vary, I suppose...

Really? Are you saying this from experience or hearsay? If so, was the guitar a bolt-on or a set-neck/neck-thru? Not sure about the "licensed" Floyds, but I know my original Floyd-equipped USA Soloist has legendary tuning stability! I've owned two other original Floyd axes, an old Kramer Nightswan and a Warmoth Frankenstrat, and never had tuning problems with either.

Still, results may vary, I suppose...

That's because it's an original. Licensed, even with a locking nut and everything set up, will not hold it's tuning for at least a month (in my experience). After that, however, they should be fine. The neck was a bolt on, but from what I heard, necks only effect sustain......

Sounds like you've owned some sick guitars, though.

In my few years of playing, I've owned a piece of crap starter (it did what needed to be done for a beginner) and an LTD KH 202. The LTD had a licensed and it was rough start (much because of my inexperience, I think), but now it's working out good for me. I almost replaced it but I'm glad I didn't because I saved myself lots of cash. Now I want to get a new guitar with a thicker neck for chords (I'm moving away from soloing/lead onto rhythm.....) and pick ups with more versatility (EMG HZ's can be quite annoying when trying to get a basic clean tone).

Imo, neither. For the same price you can get a PRS SE which in my experience owns any Jackson or Ibanez of the same price range.
except not. You can do better with a USA Soloist by Jackson. PRS is so overrated, the only thing more superlative than their worshipping fans is their price markup.

dude just go a jackson, but id say wait another couple of months and up your $ and get a nice pricey guitar.
i have a Jackson DKT2 DINKY and it is sweet i got it in crimson swirl so it looks absolutely sexy.
It was only $1000 or something like that with a case.
I beleive with guitars or anything musical what ya pay for is what you get.
I used to play an ashton guitar dont get me wrong when i was playing it i fucking loved it but i had so many problems with that guitar.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies.For: Demon of the Moor, is the Jackson DKT2 DInky better than the DKMG Dinky? the finish i was hoping on getting was the blue swirl, i think its beautiful. I tried some Ibanez RG's out yesterday, they were very fast guitars but is their tone as good as a Jackson DKMG for example?
The problem is that not all the guitar shops i go to have the guitars i want to try out and if they were to order one in for me to try id have to give a deposit,etc so its almost a catch22 situation.