Plywood under the guitar cab for better tone? Tried it! Soundsamples!

Dudes... am I the only one who thinks that it's not OK to muffle the speaker cabinet with those silencer boards? Also using tape to mark the mic spot is BAD! I bet there would be a bigger difference in a test where you record with and without tape.

Basically those silencer boards are acting as a sixth wall of the speaker. You should let your cab breathe IMO. Also the tape is blocking a lot of frequencies just like cupping a mic when your growling/singing.

Take those off and you'll have the best tone yet. ;)

Also the tape is blocking a lot of frequencies just like cupping a mic when your growling/singing.

Take those off and you'll have the best tone yet. ;)

Ran into this when recording our album. Something weird was going on......figured out it was the tape marking the mic spot.....crazy!

ok guys, thank you all for your responses! I am still a beginner in recording and so please forgive me these faults :)

If you want me to i would try it again with better amp settings (make suggestions?)
without the acoustic foam panels
without the tape (has anybody tips for better way to mark mic positions?)
and with the box set upright.

Again thank you all! Learned alot!

ok guys, thank you all for your responses! I am still a beginner in recording and so please forgive me these faults :)

If you want me to i would try it again with better amp settings (make suggestions?)
without the acoustic foam panels
without the tape (has anybody tips for better way to mark mic positions?)
and with the box set upright.

Again thank you all! Learned alot!

Mids no higher than 3-4. Anything higher is just too much with a 5150.

As for marking where to put the mic, get a stick of chalk to mark it.

Agreed with 006 on everything. The clip WITH plywood is phasey as fuck and you've got TONS of comb-filtering and other nasty resonances creeping into the mic.

ditch the plywood and auralex panels. defo causing more harm than good.

let the cab breatheeeeeeee man! =D