Podxtlive....any thoughts andy,guys?

Nov 11, 2004
i plan on getting this as a temporary fix till i can get the vht pittbull 100cl . I will be running it through my effects return nixing my amps pre amp section. I tried it this way w/my amps younger brother the xxx and it sounded very good w/the dampening on loose . Have any of you guys used this thing yet or has it just been w/the podxt pro/kidney. any suggestions on tone or recording would help too. what amp models are best ...so on
thanks alot

I own the POD XT Live and I don't like it through the effects loop. It cuts out some of the low frequencies of amps, even when you have all the effects turned off. I have found this to be the case through a Peavey 6505+ and a Mesa Triple Rectifier.

As a direct recording tool, it's very useful for cutting rough demos in a home studio.

Yeah, it doesn't work very good through the effects loop. It seems to take away from the amps' string separation at higher volumes. But overall, it's a cool unit for effects and stuff. Get the metal shop pack and you're good to go, especially for recording.

Hapexamendios said:
We use the POD XT Live through the effects loop of a Marshall JCM DSL 2000 and a 1960B cab and it kicks ass. Lows are fucking low. You got to fiddle with it to get the tone you want, but we think it's worth it, IMO. :)

I'm sure with some effort it could sound good, however, I can't take a unit seriously that alters the tone of the amp when all its effects are bypassed.

We am spase peepole...

Kazrog said:
I'm sure with some effort it could sound good, however, I can't take a unit seriously that alters the tone of the amp when all its effects are bypassed.

We am spase peepole...

I believe what they're actually doing is running guitar to XTL to FX loop return, bypassing the amps preamp and using the modeling with a tube poweramp.

That said, it definitely makes amps sound shitty (all modelers do, I've found) when used in the loop for effects.

DSS3 said:
I believe what they're actually doing is running guitar to XTL to FX loop return, bypassing the amps preamp and using the modeling with a tube poweramp.

That said, it definitely makes amps sound shitty (all modelers do, I've found) when used in the loop for effects.

It shouldn't have to make the amp sound shitty, especially when you disable the modeling and just use the FX. The POD XT Live was designed to be used live, and it's really disappointing how bad it sucks for that.

Kazrog said:
It shouldn't have to make the amp sound shitty, especially when you disable the modeling and just use the FX. The POD XT Live was designed to be used live, and it's really disappointing how bad it sucks for that.

Everyone has their opinion, but I don't believe it sounds shitty at all this way. We use the modeling because it gives us more options and we're not big on the DSL's tone by itself. Personally, most of the effects on the POD XT Live blow.

Hapexamendios said:
Everyone has their opinion, but I don't believe it sounds shitty at all this way. We use the modeling because it gives us more options and we're not big on the DSL's tone by itself. Personally, most of the effects on the POD XT Live blow.

It's not an opinion, it's a FACT that the POD XT Live alters your sound negatively (by reducing its overall harmonic spectrum) even with everything bypassed!

it alters your sound if using it as an effects engine or a distortion peddle in front of your amps clean channel.....not if you cancel your amplifiers pre amp section and eq by plugiing it into your effects return.......that is what i want to do. I want to slave my amps poweramp and thats all....no amp eq/reverb/preamp

No. Please do not let this get into a modeling argument.

if someone says my tonelab is more radder than your pod I'm going to streamcast Enya.

EtherForBreakfast said:
No. Please do not let this get into a modeling argument.

if someone says my tonelab is more radder than your pod I'm going to streamcast Enya.
please do :hotjump: enya has the ability to create the same song over and over again w/no lyrics, just over processed ooh's and ahhh's......very good synth player though ...at least thats what i have heard