Polyphonic Spree

IanDork107

I wrote a book! Buy it!
Sep 9, 2002
Not here.
Who's heard these guys? I was watching conan today on comedy central while eating lunch and this freaking wild band with about 20 members came on wearing white robes and played whacky neo-psychedelic pop stuff and it was awesome. It took me a second but I realized the singer was the guy from Tripping Daisy whom I enjoy(ed) quite a bit. I'm checking their stuff out now and it sounds awesome. Any opinions?

Veils_of_Cerpintaxt said:
The album is really hit or miss. The good stuff slays, but the bad stuff brings the gay
So far it seems like the hits are numbers 1-9 (comprising about 35 minutes) and the miss is number 10 (comprising another 35 minutes). Still, the good music is damn good, but it feels like a very small album when not taking into account the worthless closer. I do think Tim Delaughter's potential is more fully realized here than on the Tripping Daisy releases, which were all good besides the whole first record and some of the last.

I do, Tripping Daisy was great but it was too tame. This band has leanings that are much more out there yet they still have that easy to listen to charm. I think the next few records from this band could turn out amazing.

Plus, the french horn use here is amazing. Makes me wish I could/want to learn how to play it.

I found Polyphonic Spree to be decent at best. The last song is horrible yes, but so are half the others. Half are ok though. The only one I really liked was Soldier Girl, which is getting airplay on the radio these days. But the biggest stylistic similarity would have to be The Flaming Lips, and they are a FAR superior band.

At this point The Flaming Lips are better, but I don't see TFL going as far as TPS definitely sounds like they could.

I liked the album when I heard it. Then I heard their major label signing and then heard a PS song in a car commercial... then I thought, money is once again going to fuck this one up.

They are going to have such a big budget on the next one that the quality of the material will be replaced with gorgeous production and symphonic arrangements... sgih...

Money didn't damage them, and I do believe they've outdone Tripping Daisy with this new album, Together We're Heavy. It's really zany and grandiose, like some weird off broadway musical/rock opera. Anyone who was remotely pleased with the debut or who enjoyed Tripping Daisy at all should definitely give this one a whirl.

Errr...bump.

IanDork107 said:
Money didn't damage them, and I do believe they've outdone Tripping Daisy with this new album, Together We're Heavy. It's really zany and grandiose, like some weird off broadway musical/rock opera. Anyone who was remotely pleased with the debut or who enjoyed Tripping Daisy at all should definitely give this one a whirl.

Errr...bump.

So wait... The new album has already been released? Good lord, I dropped the ball on this one.

But yeah, I love tha Spree. Not counting track 10, of course.

Technically it's not released till July, but it's around. This one has no annoying track 10-like thing. It's all good stuff.