Poor choice of Venues in UK for Opeth

Oct 28, 2005
Crewe, England
Is it just me or in the UK do Opeth chose bad venues and annouying dates No offense to the band it's not their fault, but their manager really needs to think more about where he places the gigs, I've had to miss the last tour and will be missing the upcoming one purely because it's too much hassel to get to the venues selected on the nights selected. I know this sounds like a very moany thread, it's just every time I hear about a gig and look at the venues and dates my heart crashes.
I personally think they should do more shows on weekends and more shows in places like wulverhampton which are genrally easy to get to from numerous locations. Their a big enough band in the uk now to be doing more than 5 shows per tour.

Dude, i know what you mean. But its not that hard to get to any of the places by train loads of people manage. Im a huge way off from london but by train its easy to get to. and, lets face it....your not their only fan.

Yeah... and considering how... small Great Britain is in comparison to America...

Up here in Seattle, we had people coming all the way out from Idaho and Montana in upwards of 3-400 miles away. Some of our venues also take place out at the Columbia River Gorge, which is also about 100 miles away or so. Ozzfest was there a few years ago as well as when Dave Matthews comes in.

We have it better in the UK than most people.

The North of England has been well catered for by the band for many years now. If you are in Crewe, you should have been able to get to the Manchester gig last month quite easily (I travelled 220 miles to that one).

I know that I am sometimes a little intolerant of the expectations of our friends in the US, but the scale of their country and lower capita per square mile means that they will always have further to go, same with Oz, NZ, etc. There are many European Countries that do not get one gig whilst we are getting quite a few in two visits on the same tour. We are really in no position to complain about not having the chance to see the band live. I am only 50 miles away from London, so I find it quite easy to see them, but Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Birmingham are not small places that are difficult to get to.

Meh, I can see all your points .. I am going no doubt about that despite the fact the only show I can catch is in Exeter and since I'm stone broke for the next 5 months I get the feeling I'll be walking , lol. I wrote this thread out of annoiance which probably wasnt a great idea, ah well fairy dust.

They know they'll sell more if they do it in a city - theres more people in a smaller vicinity willing to travel across town than there are people in a large area willing to take a 1 hour train.