popular room mic's / preamps questions

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
just wondering what some of you, and if you know, some of the big shots use for drum room mic's.

i have a k2 tube mic that i want to use for a room mic (kinda big on mono compatibility, so might stick with just one microphone), but havent built up the nerves to try it yet. plus i only have a great river to run it through, im really avoiding trying it out until i get a tube pre to match up with the tube mic.

also, what sort of preamp / compression (hardware/settings) do people use for drum room?

also, does anyone do mid-side micing for drum room micing?

-Joey

I am pretty satisfied with the behringer ecm8000 for rooms,
the only piece of behringer i use, but for that purpose they're really good (and cheap!). wouldn't use them for anything else though

ive used mid side, royer 121's and at 4050's on room, tried behind the kit, in front of the kit and anywhere else. oktava 219's are apparently really good here (well they work for sigur ros, so im sold)

i find mid side a lot of effort, and not that great for a rock drum sound, just put the mics as high up as you can and stick em in the furthest corners near the most reflective surfaces.
thats stereo anyway.
also if you have a vocal booth in your live room, leave the door open and but a bass drum mic in there, really cool distant sound.
as for pres? what ever is free and decent.

compression? smash the living shit out of it, 1176's rule here
eq? roll off the top end from about 5k up, as this give the perception of the room being bigger and doesnt interfere with the ohs, and give it a mid bump where the snare lives pan it wherever sounds good and helps carry the kit.

only got a great river?????? whaddya mean only ?? the great river is an awesome pre

I like quite a lot of room in the mix, but this only works if the room sound is good!!

I've used akg 414's and the t-bone ribbons (which are pretty damn nice considering their price). I've used mid side too (rode nt1000 + Akg C568) and I also agree that it might not work for everything.

A very known swedish producer told me that the Berhinger ECM8000 rocks as room-mics.... ....got a pair myself and for drum rooms and they sound awesome. They probably suck for anything else....they are Berhingers...hehe...