Porcupine Tree

MetalliDeth

New Metal Member
Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
I want to start to check out Porcupine Tree and was wondering what are some good songs of theirs and what album should I start with, if they have more than one. I know this is the Opeth board but I know that Opeth are friends with Porcupine Tree so I thought this would be a good place to ask. Thanks. :)

Stop Swimming - mmm, ambient.
Blackest Eyes - some cool heavy riffs
Synesthesia - almost feels like electronic chillout music
Pure Narcotic - kinda acoustic pop sounding.

Hope that helps, they're my favourites.

Trains and Heartattack in a Layby are my favourites off of In Absentia, followed by Blackest Eyes and The Sound of Musak...
great album.
they're no Opeth, but what can ya do? :)

I'd actually recommend you check out the streaming concert of thiers from this website:

http://studiomlive.com/main.html

They play a good deal of stuff from In Absentia and some of their other albums. Here's the setlist:

Blackest Eyes - Absentia
The Sound of Muzak - Absentia
Gravity Eyelids - Absentia
Even Less - Stupid Dreams
Slave Called Shiver - Stupid Dreams
Wedding Nails - Absentia
Prodigal - Absentia
Hatesong - Lightbulb Sun
A Smart Kid - Stupid Dreams
Shesmovedon - Lightbulb Sun
Heartattack in a Layby - Absentia
Strip the Soul - Absentia
Darkmatter - Signify
Tinto Brass - Stupid Dreams

Just check them out for yourself. But be careful, this concert IMHO has some even better versions than on the albums.

IMO, if you really want to get to know Porcupine Tree buy 'Signify'. If you like the more psychedelic/improvisational side work backwards in buying the albums. If you prefer the more song structured/heavy side work forward.

Although, considering their live show is currently leaning heavily on 'In Absentia' then it's probably a safe bet to get that as you'll recognise more songs!

Hope that's helpful :)