post your top 10 of the 2010's

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
yeah we've still got like nine months to go but at this forum's current activity level, half of you lot isn't even going to see the thread until then

in no particular order except slightly tending from better to worse because i'll remember the best shit first

summoning - old mornings dawn
burzum - belus
tribulation - children of the night
atlantean kodex - the white goddess
hällas - excerpts from a future past
vemod - venter på stormene
arch/matheos - sympathetic resonance
iron maiden - the final frontier
agalloch - marrow of the spirit
dordeduh - dar de duh

DO IT

Reactions: countgrishnackh696
Spectral Lore - III
Apocalypse Orchestra - The End is Nigh
Obsequiae - Suspended in the Brume of Eos
Hinayana - Order Divine
Ildra - Edelland
The Ruins of Bevarast - Exuvia
Caladan Brood - Echoes of Battle
Gods Tower - Steel Says Last
Midnight Odyssey - Shards of Silver Fade
Shylmagoghnar - Emergence

These are really the ones that have stuck with me since release, so I will go with them. I spent the past few years on Bandcamp, hence the lack of big names. But a lot of these are on repeat during weekly trips.

The ones below are great as well and could have easily been included above.

Batushka - Litourgiya
Downfall of Nur - Umbras de Barbagia
Fellwarden - Oathbearer
The Flight of Sleipnir - Skadi
Summoning - Old Morning's Dawn

Something like this. Pretty brutal task to condense a whole decade (that isn't even over yet) but of all the top tier stuff I've checked out these are the ones I return to the most often. Also shout out to Wrong One to Fuck With by Dying Fetus which is slowly getting on the same level of repeat listens as these.

1. Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation

2. Neoandertals - Ebu Gogo Gutting the Child

3. Wormed - Exodromos

4. Heaving Earth - Denouncing the Holy Throne

5. Khthoniik Cerviiks - SeroLogiikal Scars (Vertex of Dementiia)

6. Kizin - Abstraction

7. Mordeth - The Unknown Knows

8. Exlimitir - It Weighed Itself in Silver

9. Lobotomized - Norwegian Trash

10. Iniquitous Deeds - Incessant Hallucinations

Triptykon - Melana Chasmata
Agalloch - Faustian Echoes
Ulver - Messe I.X-VI.X
Dordeduh - Dar de Duh
Ihsahn - Arktis.
Empyrium - The Turn of the Tides
Acid Witch - Evil Sound Screamers
Rwake - Rest
Vaura - Selenelion
Ludicra - The Tenant

Last edited:
Funny. ‘Ol Dick Sirloin/Black Winter Day and I were talking about this the other day via messenger. I gotta look over my shit and get back to ya on this one. Narrowing it to 10 is hard AF though. Are we talking strictly teh metuhl here?

Threads like these give me shut to check out that I may have missed or didn’t give enough proper attention to in years past too.

Hell yeah. They just posted a new song a few days ago. New album due out in May I believe. Stoked.
yeah man, I just noticed and was about to post about it

not 100% feeling it after the first listen, compressed modern metal production brings it down a bit for me but that’s par for the course i guess. john arch is fuckin nailing it as usual though. will reserve judgment til the full album is out.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Is this strictly metal? Or should we make a separate list for non-metuhl? I'm actually having trouble picking 10 metal albums. :lol:

Edit: Nevermind...I have at least 10 now.

Last edited:
yeah we've still got like nine months to go but at this forum's current activity level, half of you lot isn't even going to see the thread until then

in no particular order except slightly tending from better to worse because i'll remember the best shit first

summoning - old mornings dawn
burzum - belus
tribulation - children of the night
atlantean kodex - the white goddess
hällas - excerpts from a future past
vemod - venter på stormene
arch/matheos - sympathetic resonance
iron maiden - the final frontier
agalloch - marrow of the spirit
dordeduh - dar de duh

DO IT

I'm surprised there isn't Ne Obliviscaris in there.

ehhh

i think ”plague flowers the kaleidoscope” is a very very good song but the whole album gets to be a bit much. never bothered with the later stuff either.

Between The Buried & Me - Parallax I & II
Cleric - Retrocausal
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Dissociation
Zebulon Pike - Nostalgia For The Unreal
Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
Leprous - Bilateral
Vaura - Selenelion
Pseudo/Sentai - Enter The Sentai
Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance
Solace - A.D.

Last edited:
Macabre Omen - Gods of War - At War
Eternal Champion - The Armor of Ire
Summoning- OMD
Black MagicSS- Spectral Esctasy
SubRosa- No Help For The Mighty Ones
6-10 TBD, have to see what I pissed money on in past 10 yrs.

Last edited:
y'all think this is better than marrow of the spirit!?
I do. Marrow of the Spirit always kinda lacked something for me, my least favoUrite of the Agalloch LPs. Which is to say I still really enjoy it. But, said Serpent has not left my glovebox for almost 5 years now, I listen to it almost every time I go to the mountains. It just keeps getting better with time. Even with a real obvious re-hash of some Pale Folklore elements, I still adore it.

This one is an honorable mention along with Summoning and Enslaved for me. All solid stuff from the '10s. I have not paid this decade much attention AT ALL but this thread is a reminder of how much good shit it gave the collective us.

I feel kind of odd for not including Nero di Marte in my list. I spent way too much time obsessing over their debut to not give it a solid brotherly nod. Paysage d'Hiver also did some whacky things to my person, it was like hearing Nattens Madrigal revisited on shitty cassette tape. Also, the final Ludicra album, which is all I know from them. I edited my list to include that one, sorry Sleep. Changed to the newer Triptykon album instead of the first, I get those two confused LOLZ.

And, uh, I really enjoy the latest Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Dark Tranquillity releases. I can't say that any of them are Top 10 material but I probably spin them more than anything else I've heard???

Last edited:
1. Kayo Dot - Hubardo

2 . Spectral Lore - III
3. Circle of Ouorborus - Armon keitaalla
4. Obsequiae - Suspended in the Brume of Eos
5. A pregnant Light – My game doesn’t have a name
6. Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer I: Khem Sedjet
7. Ben Frost - Aurora
8. Vaura – The Missing
9. Gris - À l'âme enflammée, l'âme constellée
10. Nechochwen - Heart of Akamon

HM’s

Cara Neir – Portals to a better Dead World (really could be # 10)
Musk Ox – Woodfall
Sigh – In Somniphobia
Vaura - Selenelion
Tenhi - Saivo
Autechre - Exai

Glad to see the love for Spectral Lore and Obsequiae's debut. I love Aria of Vernal Tombs, but the debut tops it. Can't get enough Cabin Lights.

Gris is a band I've wanted to hear for a while. Guess I know where to start

I have no idea why I didn't consider Faustian Echoes for my list cuz really that's the best Agalloch release since The Mantle. I think so anyhow.

Also, some day, some how, some where, some why, I will hear Hubardo. And the first Obsequiae album, because I like the second album a lot.