Power metal bands

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
Ok there are lots of good power metal bands out there, but also lots of shit ones. If you would be so kind, try to categorise them in one of the following (I'll leave a blank template):

TOP NOTCH!!!

Alright, but nothing special:

Complete fucking shit:

Top Notch:

Sinergy, Helloween, (old) Blind Guardian, Nocturnal Rites

Alright (or better that alright):

Gamma Ray, Iron Savior, Labyrinth, Primal Fear, Iced Earth (sorry Spawny!)

Complete fucking shit:

Pretty much every other limp wristed pussy band that dares call themselves "power" "metal" these days...

(Note: I didn't mention Dungeon in there, I'd sort of be a bit biased I think! HAHA!)

Top Notch:

Nevermore, Iced Earth, Sinergy, Dungeon :D , Messiah's Kiss, Blind Guardian

All right:

Helloween, Gamma Ray, Iron Savior, Primal Fear, Nightwish, Black Steel, Pegazus, HammerFall, Steel Prophet, Jag Panzer, White Skull

Complete shite:

Narnia, Stratovarius, Heavenly, Meduza, [enter generically named PM band here]

* Karma by Kamelot is the best power metal album ever! Buy it Winmar, you will not be sorry! Kahns voice is AMAZING :eek: :headbang:

* Gamma Ray are pretty rocking indeed.

* For Tims perusal :) : Iced Earth arent power metal, power metal bands are fairy ass Queen wannabes. Iced Earth is heavy metal.
Please name one power metal band that has done a song as heavy as Damien, The Coming Curse, Diary and so on. You cant. Because they dont. Nothing wrong with that of course, but you cant put Iced Earth in with Helloween etc. because they dont sound like them at all :D

(How long will it be before Koichi says something about Iced Earth? Synchronise watches... ;) )

Top notch:

None really, except maybe old Blind Guardian. The only other ones I think are top notch I consider more to be heavy metal than power metal such as Running Wild, Dungeon, Iced Earth, etc. and newer Helloween (Deris era) because that has more of a hard rock/AOR feel with it to me.

I pretty much define power metal as being a crappy wimpy overproduced version of heavy/speed metal, so that's probably why I pretty much don't like it. I think it's sad that power metal has become the new form of traditional heavy metal because its just so lacking in everything that made metal great. Gimme Maiden, Priest, Accept, Dio, Scorpions, WASP, Motley Crue, Manowar, Loudness, Lizzy Borden, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister etc anyday. That's heavy metal!

Power metal bands that I think are pretty good coz they actually do what they do well and have some great melodies or whatever:

Edguy, Gamma Ray, Pegazus, Hammerfall, Avantasia, Dream Evil, Crimson Fire, etc...

Most of the other ones suck that I've heard. Personally as far as today's bands go I much prefer the melodic metal/AOR type bands like Pink Cream 69, Vanishing Point, etc..

Originally posted by The Trooper

I pretty much define power metal as being a crappy wimpy overproduced version of heavy/speed metal, so that's probably why I pretty much don't like it. I think it's sad that power metal has become the new form of traditional heavy metal because its just so lacking in everything that made metal great. Gimme Maiden, Priest, Accept, Dio, Scorpions, WASP, Motley Crue, Manowar, Loudness, Lizzy Borden, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister etc anyday. That's heavy metal!

Agreed! :D :headbang:

Demons And Wizards DOES indeed rule! Get that AND Karma by Kamelot Winmar!

Have you heard any other Kamelot albums apart from Karma, Spawnatello?

Siege Perilous - now *there's* a great Kamelot album! :headbang:

(and no, I haven't heard Karma)

Ive got The Fourth Legacy, tis quite good, plus the live album, might grab Siege Perilous next trip to Utopia as a lot of reviews have given it high marks. I cant see it possibly being better than Karma though :D

I like Sonata Arctica from what I've heard of them.

Yeah I prefer the bands that would fall into the "speed metal" category, than power metal. Less of the wanky stuff, and much more power! Plus yeah those bands who are heavier, like IE and Nevermore. Nevermore in particular are pretty bloody heavy.