Power Quest IRC

Power_Metal_Dom

Epic Metaller
Aug 8, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
A thought...a geeky thought.

Would a PQ IRC be a good idea? A lot of bands have them. I sometimes feel like the forum isn't enough and would like to chat en masse with some posters and the band members. I wouldn't want it to replace or take attention away from the forum but it seems like a cool idea for people who wanna chat more about stuff. I've no real idea how to go about setting it all up. What do people think?

I used to go on a couple of IRC chatrooms years and years ago and i used mIRC once (a client for it) and the other time i just used a browser based client. Basically i think all you need to do is get a client of some sort and then you just connect to #powerquest (i think that's the format for a chatroom name), assuming no one is already using that name as their chatroom and that's it... no setup is actually required but i think you can sort of stake your claim on the chatroom by putting passwords and things maybe if you want to....

Yeah i know you can claim any channel you like if it's not already in use, but I think that's dependant on having a server first. That said I think there might be some free servers around like Dalnet and etc

Ok guys I think I set one up! Come in and have a chat! If this turns out ok and until Steve gives it the thumbs up, this is the unofficial PQ IRC channel!

I use the free mIRC client. You can download it here. When installed and set up it will say it's a free trial but after the 30 days are up you can still use the client for as long as you like, it'll just remind you for a few seconds when you first open the app. So these are the details you enter for File > Select Server > Add

IRC Server: heinlein.freenode.net
Port: 6667
group: ##powerquest

If you want register your nickname (remember to type in the status window of the server and not the channel window!):

#

/msg nickserv register <your-password> <your-email>

# To keep your email address private, rather than displaying it publicly, mark it as hidden:

/msg nickserv set hidemail on

# It's useful to have an alternate nick grouped to your account. This will ensure that you have a way to get online as a registered user (keeping any cloak you may have) in case your nick becomes frozen (a "ghost"). Many clients will automatically add an underline to your nick at connect time if the nick you specify is unavailable so it is advised to group the underlined nick. For example, if your primary nick is foo:

/nick foo_

and then

/msg nickserv group

This will document that both nicks are owned by the same person and will allow services to leave you identified if you switch from your primary nick to your alternate and vice-versa.

I'm relatively new to all this guys, but any question just ask and I'll try my best to answer them!