Powerball test

laurens

New Metal Member
Feb 15, 2009
So in an effort to prove that the Powerball isn't muddy (like some stated here) I posted some clips. Guitar is straight into the Engl Powerball with a Marshall 1960AV cab. No effects, no post EQ. I used one mic connected to Yamaha Audiogram 3 with Audacity as software.

Now you may think that it is recorded in a basement, well it is! :lol: I'm really new to recording so I'm still trying out mic positions and such. Somehow the recording got a bit more high than my ears perceived when playing. Should be somewhat smoother. Don't mind the screw ups in the playing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=925895&content=music

To be honest, you need to work on your playing first, and also that tone really doesn't fly the flag for Powerball tones IMO.

Ok, thanks. Removed one because the playing was indeed awful. What do you suggest in terms of sound improvement?

Hmm, yeah, definitely gotta agree on the playing - also, it sounds like I'm listening to it from outside the room in a hallway, lots of mids and very subdued highs/presence; what mic did you use, and where on the speaker was it?

Posted another attempt, this is harder than I imagined. Tweaked the presence and the treble. The mids (open mode) are on 7 (out of 10). Still no effects or double tracking. Changed the mic position also a bit. The mic is Audio Technica AT2020. I'm using a 4x12 slant cab. The mic is in the middle of it and 1 meter from the cab, and 1.10 meter high facing in an angle to the middle of the cab. I tried it once close to one of the upper speakers but it sounded horrible. Please let me know if this sounds better. Or should I move to one of the speakers again (which one), aiming on the cone or such? Tips are welcome!

The mic is in the middle of it and 1 meter from the cab, and 1.10 meter high facing in an angle to the middle of the cab.

This is the reason why it sounds somewhat roomy... Try to put your mic between the cone and dustcap, close!

Posted another attempt, this is harder than I imagined. Tweaked the presence and the treble. The mids (open mode) are on 7 (out of 10). Still no effects or double tracking. Changed the mic position also a bit. The mic is Audio Technica AT2020. I'm using a 4x12 slant cab. The mic is in the middle of it and 1 meter from the cab, and 1.10 meter high facing in an angle to the middle of the cab. I tried it once close to one of the upper speakers but it sounded horrible. Please let me know if this sounds better. Or should I move to one of the speakers again (which one), aiming on the cone or such? Tips are welcome!

Right, put the mic about 1 inch from the grill, in between the cone and dustcap, and try all 4 speakers, the bottom ones in a slant cab will more than likely sound better so start with those first.

Thanks for all the help. New update again with added riff of myself. Look past the timing of my playing and such, this is a tone test. The mic is close to the grill like you all suggested. Much better this time. I used the lower right speaker and tried different positions and I think that I will stick at the angled ones. The one with the mic at the edge with angle to cone sounds a bit muffled (although I dig it), the one closer to the cone (towards the edge of it) with angle to cone seems to have more highs. Again, any tips are much appreciated!

I also need to figure out a way to play along with a cd (or metronome) without it being heard on the recording. Any suggestions for that as well?