Powerfest 2004

BalanceofPower

My god,it's full of stars
Feb 19, 2003
Palatine, IL
www.novembersdoom.com
I don't know if any of you went to powerfest 2004 at J.J. Kelly's this weekend, but it was great the bands kicked ass. I just got back from partying at the hotel across the street from kellys with all the bands it was great times met some very bad ass people. I want to say thanks to Chris from Ion Vein and Rob from Twelfth Gate for making this bad ass fest possible and to any of you who went. Much thanks!

Hey bro! Sorry I'm so late in responding to your post. :loco: Just wanted to say thanks to you guys as well for being a part of the fest, for kicking some major ass & for being so cool. Can't wait until we get to do it again...oh wait, we are, next month in Minneapolis. :headbang:

Can't wait to party with you again! Hopefully, this time the rest of the ND boys won't be ill...hehe.

By the way, what day are you guys playing? We'll be arriving sometime that Sat afternoon & playing Sunday. See you there bro!!

Take care!
Rob

GateXII said:
Hey bro! Sorry I'm so late in responding to your post. :loco: Just wanted to say thanks to you guys as well for being a part of the fest, for kicking some major ass & for being so cool. Can't wait until we get to do it again...oh wait, we are, next month in Minneapolis. :headbang:

Can't wait to party with you again! Hopefully, this time the rest of the ND boys won't be ill...hehe.

By the way, what day are you guys playing? We'll be arriving sometime that Sat afternoon & playing Sunday. See you there bro!!

Take care!
Rob
My man what is up! As it stands right now we are playing saturday afternoon at 2 on the main stage. I saw that they added a shit load of more bands so I don't know if we will get bumped back or what but hopefully our time slot is consistent with what we have now. Can't wait to chill with you guys again man take care brother!

For a review of the Powerfest, which includes us being bashed for being "doomy, repetitve death metal", heh, go check out METAL JUDGMENT | PROVE YOU'RE METAL and look in the "summary judgement reviews" section.

I could be wrong but it appears we've fallen victim once again to being reviewed by someone who obviously doesn't like or understand the style of music we play. That's fine, to each their own. It's just a shame that our show gets reviewed and then publicly posted, by someone who we'd never really stand a chance with impressing anyway. Not very objective. Unfortunately I think alot of the fans in attendance probably felt the same way, being that I heard so many times before and after the show date, "So why are Novembers Doom playing a power metal fest?" ARGH! lol

That being said, I'd gladly play again with just about any of the bands we shared the stage with at the Powerfest. Bands like Twelfth Gate, Ion Vein and Avidost for example are all great bands with good people in them, and we enjoy playing with them and being their friends. And we appreciate the open-mindedness of the fest organizers for inviting us to come play in the first place. It's just a shame that so many of the metal fans tend to have such a narrow scope, and lack that open-minded sensibility, sometimes.

"Next up was November's Doom, whom I have never heard before. They came out looking and sounding like pros, banging their heads wildly and sounding like a finely tuned engine. I was hoping that with the word "doom" in their name, they would have been a bit slower, but regardless they put on a pretty good show. Like a cross between Cathedral and older Sentenced, these guys had a knack for doom-styled riffing with faster melodic moments as well. The death vocals held them back from being in the same league as say, Solitude Aeturnus, but overall I was impressed. Much credit is also due to the great sound of the club that night, which did wonders for everyone."

Not bad for someone who never heard us before.

Hell yeah, that was a nice review. As I've said before, I wish all people who do these reviews would go in with an open mind like the guy who reviewed the Cambridge show! But whatever, I think anyone reading the Powerfest review will pretty much get the idea that the reviewer isn't into our style of music in general, anyhow.

Novembers Paul said:
"Next up was November's Doom, whom I have never heard before. They came out looking and sounding like pros, banging their heads wildly and sounding like a finely tuned engine. I was hoping that with the word "doom" in their name, they would have been a bit slower, but regardless they put on a pretty good show. Like a cross between Cathedral and older Sentenced, these guys had a knack for doom-styled riffing with faster melodic moments as well. The death vocals held them back from being in the same league as say, Solitude Aeturnus, but overall I was impressed. Much credit is also due to the great sound of the club that night, which did wonders for everyone."

Not bad for someone who never heard us before.
Good thing he went to the cambridge show and not the toronto show.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
That being said, I'd gladly play again with just about any of the bands we shared the stage with at the Powerfest. Bands like Twelfth Gate, Ion Vein and Avidost for example are all great bands with good people in them, and we enjoy playing with them and being their friends. And we appreciate the open-mindedness of the fest organizers for inviting us to come play in the first place. It's just a shame that so many of the metal fans tend to have such a narrow scope, and lack that open-minded sensibility, sometimes.

We'll gladly play again with you too. :)

Novembers Paul said:
Welcome to the neighborhood! How's the recording going?

Things have been going very slowly, but we're over halfway done recording now. The music sounds great so far, and I'm optimistic that the final product is going to rock. Hopefully we can get it out to the masses this year.

It's female-fronted heavy power-black-prog-death-thrash metal from Chicago. That probably doesn't help, sorry - you'll really have to hear it for yourself. You haven't heard of us because we don't have an album out yet. You can learn more at www.avidost.com.