POWERFEST 2009: Lineup Shift & Ticket Sale Date Announced

GateXII

Soul Collector
Jun 26, 2001
Chicago, IL
www.twelfthgate.net
Headliners DEVILDRIVER, along with support bands SOIL and NOVEMBERS DOOM, will now be playing the Saturday, May 9th, date of this year's CHICAGO POWERFEST instead of the previously reported Friday May 8th date. Festival organizers, CRJ Productions, also commented: "Sorry for any inconvenience, but due to reasons beyond our control stemming from scheduling conflicts, this shift has become necessary."

Also, individual night tickets for Thursday, May 7th, & Saturday, May 9th, will go on sale this Saturday, March 7th, at 11am CT via all Ticketmaster locations.

Current Powerfest Lineup (updated)...

Thursday, May 7 (kick-off show with Paganfest tour):

KORPIKLAANI
ELUVEITIE
PRIMORDIAL
MOONSORROW
BLACKGUARD
SWASHBUCKLE

Friday, May 8:

Headliner
TBA
KIUAS (Fin)
ASSAILANT (Swe)
MINDWARP CHAMBER
BuzzNews.com Metal Wars Winner

Saturday, May 9:

DEVILDRIVER
SOIL
NOVEMBERS DOOM
PERZONAL WAR (Ger)
SHEEPHEAD (Ger)
LUNA MORTIS

MAJOR Friday headliner announcement will be made 3/30, along with their direct support and ticket info., including 2 & 3 day passes.

Also, as previously reported, CRJ Productions will continue with its official fan sponsorship/VIP program this year…intended to give fans a higher level of participation in the fest and a chance to take advantage of some cool perks.

For more information regarding Powerfest or the VIP program, please visit www.ChicagoPowerfest.com and www.myspace.com/chicagopowerfest

Me and the girlfriend were looking to travel this year for something and this seems like it would be pretty fun. Not really a fan of anything announced other than ND though..

Thomas is going to be there to help with "When Desperation Fills The Void"? I don't know... lol.. AnTz0r stole my guess!

This was my first thought as well.

My second guess would be the new album performed in its entirety.

My third guess is that ND will be joined by a certain former band member, based on the fact that this former band member "might" be in the midwest that weekend.

Here's a longshot: Nightingale announced to play Friday night, and Dan Swano guests with them on Saturday for some Edge of Sanity fun. Though I doubt it will happen since Paul alluded to the style of the headliners on the Powerfest forum.

I agree that a guest spot with a former band member is a more realistic idea, and was my other guess.

Here's a longshot: Nightingale announced to play Friday night...
With all due respect to Mr. Swano, who's a musical genius, Nightingale owns the distinction of being the worst band I've ever seen live. When they performed at ProgPower, Dan did so with his lyrics and music on a stand in front of him, as he sat down and played. No... it wasn't an acoustic set. Seriously... is it too much to ask that you learn your songs before performing live?

Zod

Seriously... is it too much to ask that you learn your songs before performing live?

We had a similar discussion last year on this forum about Rob Lowe fronting Candlemass.

He did a great job but spent about 75% of the set with his face downward toward his lyric book.

Everyone here had a different opinion on the matter and all made valid points.
Regardless, a LOT of bands use lyric sheets on stage.
I believe Thomas from Saturnus used them at Powerfest a couple years back.

If used, I would think they should try to be hidden as best possible, and the vocalist make a strong effort to not faceplant to them the whole set.

Everyone here had a different opinion on the matter and all made valid points.
If memory serves, I believe Rob was new to the band at that time. In that case, I can see using lyrics. Other than that, I can't imagine what argument could be made on behalf of not knowing your own songs. I'll have to look up that thread.

The only other time I've witnessed this, was during Savage Circus' set at PP. The lead singer had his lyrics on the floor. I believe he's in three bands. However, I still found it inexcusable.

Zod

If memory serves, I believe Rob was new to the band at that time. In that case, I can see using lyrics. Other than that, I can't imagine what argument could be made on behalf of not knowing your own songs. I'll have to look up that thread.

The only other time I've witnessed this, was during Savage Circus' set at PP. The lead singer had his lyrics on the floor. I believe he's in three bands. However, I still found it inexcusable.

Zod

I've got a legit excuse I think. Take as much Vicodin as I do, daily for the past 10 years, and see if your memory / brain works the same way as it used to. :lol:

I have a "cheat sheet" I use. All I need from time to time, is to glance to see where I'm at. Once I see the first word, I'm usually good for the rest of the verse, so I'm not standing there "reading" from the sheet.

This was my first thought as well.

My second guess would be the new album performed in its entirety.

My third guess is that ND will be joined by a certain former band member, based on the fact that this former band member "might" be in the midwest that weekend.

Who is this? I have no idea who is coming in town who used to be with us. Seriously...

But no guys, there will be NO guest appearances for us, Thomas or any past members. Some of you will find this announcement very cool... Some may not, but those that DO, will be pretty happy.