circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Powerglove – Metal Kombat for the Mortal Man
Self-Released – 2007
By Jason Jordan

powerglovemkftmm.jpg

In my review of Powerglove’s previous release Total Pwnage, I stated that “the success of videogame metal hinges almost entirely on nostalgia,” and I feel that’s true. Nevertheless, the tunes you aren’t familiar with – a result of not playing the game(s) they were featured in – are enjoyable, but not near as affecting as those that mean something special to you. In accordance with the EP, the debut full-length Metal Kombat for the Mortal Man, a digipak with all-around great artwork, is always good. The only excellent songs, though, are the ones you know.

Dissimilar from the EP, however, is the fact that nine of the 11 tracks are medleys instead of reinterpretations of one single theme, though all are tight, faithful representations of their source material, at least by my ear. Plus, the production is notably cleaner, the musicianship is still rock solid, if not intermittently impressive, and the 49-minute length is nothing to complain about either. With that said, my favorites include ‘So Sexy Robotnik’ (Sonic the Hedgehog 2), ‘Mario Minor’ (Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario World), ‘The Duck Grinder’ (Duck Hunt), ‘Omnishred (We’re Gonna Need a Bigger Sword)’ (Final Fantasy VII), and parts of ‘Red Wings over Baron’ (Final Fantasy IV) because the FF series recycles many of its tunes, and Nobuo Uematsu has been FF’s longtime composer. Other games covered, in order of appearance, are Killer Instinct, Castlevania 2, Mega Man X 3, The Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Guilty Gear X, Mortal Kombat Movie, and Mega Man 2.

So, for a small sum of money, Massachusetts’s Powerglove provide an instrumental, metalized trip down memory lane. Again, like a concert bill, compilation album, or greatest hits collection, it’s the selection that essentially makes or breaks Metal Kombat for the Mortal Man. Considering I have an affinity for the consoles on which these games appeared, this is largely more make than break for me, and recommended to any (former) videogame aficionado.

Official Powerglove Website

Sounds very interesting. I wonder if any sounds from Duke Nukem are used hehehe, so much for nastalgia!