Powermad Question

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
I was in the chat and some people were talking about Powermad and now I have heard of this fest, I know nothing essentially about it. Can someone give a link to a review of one of them or could give me a brief synopsis of the concert band order etc. that would be great.

Thanks

Ian

The last Powermad was held in 2001... I doubt there's any kind of official website for it anymore. There MAY be some old comments/reviews in the Perpetual Motion board archives, but I don't know if they go back that far.

Basically, it was one of the earliest showcases of prog and power metal bands in the US. It was known for being the ONLY way for many people to see many bands play live. Unfortunately, it was very disorganized; many bands didn't show up, or were announced but never confirmed... lineups were not set until the festival itself was taking place... the advertisements, sampler cds, and even event shirts, were chock full of typos and other mistakes (Overlorde - "The Snow Gaint" :lol: ). Also, it was held in a venue with poor accoustics, far away from the nearest hotels, and where there was almost no place to eat nearby.

I believe Powermad was what directly motivated Glenn to start doing his first festival, although Chicago Powerfest (first held in 2000, same venue & time of year as ProgPower USA in 2001) paved the way for it. I believe CPF was put together partly for the same reason, because it featured several bands who were favorites from the Powermad circuit.

Powermad 1999 was the first US appearance of Evergrey. Despite how poorly it was run, that festival did do some things right.

Ah.... Powermad. A 3 day/evening barrage of old school power, progressive, traditional and even doom metal. The fest was so far underground there were hardly any locals attending the show (which was held in a converted supermarket/warehouse type building in the edge of a shopping center outside Baltimore). The closest hotel I remember staying at was the Days Inn (there was basically nothing above a two star hotel chain in the area, but the Days Inn served its purpose). Hmm....I also remember a pretty darn good barbecue place.

I also remember that a good segment of the crowd (which was only about 100-150 people maximum) were old school posters at Perpetual Motion such as the great Ralf Walter, LarryD and your very own Harvester (I was as well, but pretty much kept to myself in those days). They took an annual group photo if I remember correctly, right near the stage and outside the venue. One of the coolest links between Powermad and Progpower (aside from Perpetual Motion and the festival concept itself) were the fantastic sampler double cd packages they used to give out as part of the festival perks, a true precursor to extremely well packaged samplers you see at PP today (and yes, filled with typographical errors, some of those downright hilarious).

Another interesting factoid is that the lights remained fairly bright at the fest because there were also vendors like Laser's Edge, Molten Metal and I believe even Century Media had a table there one year right in the stage area. (Yep, the vendors were in the same area as the bands, lined up against the wall on both sides of the supermarket/warehouse - they could watch the entire show between cd sales!! Now THAT would still be a great perk for any vendor who's a fan of the genres, obviously it would impossible to set things up that way at the Center Stage you see today).

Some acts I remember seeing are Jag Panzer, Manilla Road, Steel Prophet, Defyance (pretty darn good power/prog band who has even featured Lance King on vocals of all people if I remember correctly, though not at that time), Persiphone's Dream (of Progpower Pre-party fame), Marcel Coenen (of Lemur Voice & Sun Caged fame, yep, another PP Pre-party band), Mystic Force (main festival organizer Keith Menser's band), Reading Zero, Antithesis, October Thorns, Cauldron Born, Ehteria, Raven, Attacker, October 31st, Overlorde, Reign of Terror, Zandelle and Helstar (with James Rivera, who I actually remember teasing the audience that night that the band were on the verge of fully reforming and recording NosferaTWO, as a sequel to the original Nosferatu, one of their best albums). And yes, a fairly little known fact that your very own Evergrey made their U.S. debut right at this very festival. Hard to imagine that less than 10 years later they would be performing a mammoth show complete with an orchestra, choir and top notch production values.

On the downside - there was limited promotion, funding and organization for the fesitival. (Bands ran past their scheduled times with regularity, some bands still listed on the schedule never showed up at all, etc.). Another interesting note is that the festival used to run through Sunday, with half the already small crowd of the previous 2 days! As such, it was never really able to evolve past what seemed like an annual small class reunion of sorts (yes, it absolutely had that type of feel). Certainly a far cry from what Progpower has evolved into today, but nevertheless a fun and elite show which I was proud to be a part of and I'll always remember fondly.

Here's a really cool old interview with Keith Menser from 2001 that gives some great insight into the festival, the birth of Progpower and Mystic Force as well.

Going Powermad with Keith Menser of Mystic Force

Jason

EDIT - Ah, also found an old review of Powermad 2000.

Powermad 2000 Live Review

Powermad 2000 was, unfortunately, the only Powermad I was ever able to make it to. That review brings back some good and bad memories (the worst of which was the fact that the main band I had traveled to see, Forte, refused to show up). Incidentally, it also mentions Persephone's Dream's performance opening the fest, but apparently the reviewer missed the pre-party, where they performed a much better and longer set. PD was my favorite "surprise band" of the weekend.

Harv had multiple orgasms during Etheria's set... they went on to play an opening slot at the first ProgPower USA before breaking up.

WOW... half of those bands aren't even around anymore.

By the way, the venue was actually a Tall Cedars Lodge (I think that was the name of it), like a Moose or Elk lodge. It wasn't a bad room due to the fact that it had a raised stage area (some of the lodges I've seen are all on one level with a low ceiling), but the accoustics were poor. They could have pulled off the same exact show at J.J. Kelley's, and had better *everything*, and the fest might even be around today if Keith had let people help out more with running it.

Ah, Powermad. The show with zero promotion. The show where you never knew who was going to be on stage. Hell, sometimes you didn't know who was actually playing, since no one ever announced any of the bands. You often had to use the official show t-shirt (complete with mis-spelled band names) to try and figure out who was performing. The show that featured some god-awful bands, and some amazing ones. The show that likely was the catalyst for Prog Power. The show that had the awesome BBQ place in the parking lot, perfect for a break when some generic metal band was playing.

Yes, it was a disaster in many ways, but it was also fun. You got to see some good bands, meet cool people, and buy a ton of great CDs. In '99, we got to see Mayadome, Evergrey and Lethal in one night. If nothing else, that made Powermad worthwhile.

Someone mentioned the PM group photo we used to take every year. I found this on my hard drive (from 1999):

pm99.jpg

I have reviews I wrote of '99 and (I think) '98 that I could put up on some webspace of mine if people were interested...

dt

Wow, fascinating indeed.

Damn shame I never knew about this as it was maybe an hour and half away. Thanks for a bit of prog-power "history". Had I knewn about that, I would of most likely definitly have gone. Part of it was that I was also just getting into learning and discovering about prog/power metal at the time (I did not even know who Dream Theater or Fates Warning where at the time). I still have those old Lemur Voice MP3 files that I've downloaded from MP3.com around that timeframe.

I went and did a quick search on the 'net to see if I can find any back-catalog from some of those bands mentioned as I'd like to hear them. I did find Persephone's Dream's Moonspell album on eMusic. Really cool sound.

Thanks for a very fascinating look back.

Division played the first three ('97, '98, '99), and I went to all of them. There were some truly spectacular moments (Evergrey, Jag Panzer, Steel Prophet, Vicious Rumors, Event, Lethal, Soundscape's three hour soundchecks, etc. We had a lot of fun, drank a lot, and basically showed that idea was viable.

Harv, of course, can comment on this further if he wishes, but the apocryphal story is that PPUSA was born in a sports bar not far from the Powermad venue... ;)

Aaaahhhh PowerMad 99....a legendary year. Evergrey's first US performance....Mayadome's too I believe. THe sports Bar, Mars Music, the ice machines, flying tackles, toe sucking, bbq in the parking lot, adjusted snapples, adjusted festival goers, misspelled t-shirts, reprobates, but damn was that a riot. Powermad 2000 was not bad either..altho the hijinks seemed tame.

OMG, Powermad. I was at '99, 2000 and 2001. PM '99 was the first time I met many of the same degenerates I see every year at ProgPower. :lol: I learned very quickly that you have to keep moving because if Matt Crooks sees you standing still long enough, he might urinate on you. Just ask the ice machine... :)
All I have to say about PM 2000 is.... JAG F**KING PANZER!!!!! :headbang:

Oddly enough, my current boyfriend performed at PM 2000, but I didn't get the chance to meet him. I think I may have left already. There was a lot of vodka consumed that weekend. Memo to self: When drinking with Matt Crooks, never accept the Snapple bottle....

~C

I was at the Powermads in 2000 and 2001 (meant to go to 1999 but missed it due to moving snafus). I don't remember much about the bands - just the usual silly antics, and the pit beef!

I was brave enough to accept the challenge of:
"Here. Taste this. Did I hit this too hard?"

"*spitting flames sound*"

"gasp, No...no you didn't"

Also forgot brain hanging...and HArvester and the giant brew tank at the sports bar.....oh...and Teddy Moller...the man has the best southern accent EVAH!