Powermetal without annoying vocals?

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
Now this is purely taste, I'm not saying power metal vocals are bad, but to me they're annoying.

Does anybody know of some good power/speed metal with either distorted vocals or not... cheezy clean ones?

Lost Horizon
Symphony X, if you consider them power metal.

... That's about it. Heavenly has the most annoying vocalist on earth. Fortunately the music is good though it could be more varied.

Well the power/speed bands that I can listen to without mental problems are Blind Guardian, Freedom Call, Symphony X (well they're prog mostly but wtf), Rage (if you could call 'em that), Persuader, Primal Fear (to some extent) and Sinner.

STRATOVARIUS
SONATA ARCTICA
HELLOWEEN
HAMMERFALL

And dont you DARE TO COMPLAIN OR I WILL COME AND SKULLFUCK YOU!

^ ignore that.

Uh, do you like Running Wild-style in the vocal area?

Many thanks :)

To specify abit more what I call "annoying":

(these are the few power metal bands Ive heard)

Dragonland
Dragonforce
Stormbringer ...
Human Fortress

cant thing of any more atm, thats about all ive heard.

Basically vocals that kinda border the opera stuff I dont like... also (even tho this is completely not power) I hate metallica and iron maiden vocals. Just to give you an idea of my "clean vocal tastes"

Good god, you've heard singers with no balls whatsoever. Is that what people think nowadays? That shit like Cans or the guy from Rhapsody are the be-all end-all of Power Metal vocals?

Goddamn, listen to some Jag Panzer or Tad Morose.

stefan86 said:
Cans is such an unbelievably gay vocalist.

Probably one of the weakest vocalists I've ever heard in my life. Only a notch above Anders Friden and anyone who's ever been in Dark Moor.

Is Jag Panzer powermetal?

P.S To specify abit more... I HATE IT when the power metal singer goes really high (like practically female) in his voice. It's the worst part...

Donnie Darko said:
Children of Bodom
Kalmah
Nevermore
lmao, and your custom title says "destroyer of false metal".

EDIT: WScythe, if that's the case, don't listen to any Metal outside of Black/Death, some thrash, and some other random stuff. Seriously.

Try on Galloglass (http://www.Galloglass.de they have sound samples there)
Falconer (Bad-fucking-ass)
Armada
Star One (Full blown prog but I like them enough that I'll plug them)
MAY...be you might take Ramma Gay er Gamma Ray - Powerplant.

And why the hell is CoB considered power metal? I'm a I missing something here? Or did someone not read the instructions?

lol I was worried for a while. You can listen to anything decent in the powermetal scene for a change and you'll find there's quite a lot with very good vocals.
For example old Helloween, Gamma Ray, Domine, Jag Panzer (of course they are power) (in the high pitched region)
or in teh more growling type, Blind Guardian, Running Wild, Rage

Some suggested Nevermore, I'd prefer older things these guys did, like Sanctuary :)