Powerwolf - Blood of the Saints

Power_Metal_Dom

Epic Metaller
Aug 8, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
newspic-cover-bots.jpg

In 2011 the wolves are back with their long awaited fourth album, Blood Of The Saints. The album title itself is a sign that the wolves stayed true to themselves; the lyrical concept once again refers to biblical parables. The album title refers to a passage out of the Revelation of John: "I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus." This passage, which has been a source of controversy and discussion for centuries, fascinated POWERWOLF such that it became the starting point for the concept of the album.

On the musical side, POWERWOLF tried to outdo themselves. On their previous albums, they experimented with an unusual cooperation with a classical conservatory, but for Blood Of The Saints they went even further. Besides using no less than five different studios and a church (where organist Falk Maria Schlegel performed his organ parts), they recorded the classical choir parts in a historical church from the 13th century. "The sound of 40 classically trained men and women singing POWERWOLF songs in a church is unique. This can't be simulated in any studio. That's why we took the effort to search for such special places for the recordings" reports Falk Maria Schlegel.

- http://www.powerwolf.net/2011/Powerwolf2011Eng.pdf

Tracklist:

1. Agnus dei (Intro)
2. Sanctified with dynamite
3. We drink your blood
4. Murder at Midnight
5. All we need is blood
6. Dead boys don't cry
7. Son of a wolf
8. Night of the werewolves
9. Phantom of the funeral
10. Die, die, crucified
11. Ira Sancti (When the saints are going wild)

Blood Of The Saints will be released on August 2nd in North America, July 29th (G/A/S) and August 1st (rest of Europe).

New single:

Not sure what people think of Powerwolf (especially with their catholic themes/inspiration) but I've enjoyed stuff on each of their releases and it really is catchy, chanty, ballsy stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of this band before. Upon first listen, the vocalist reminded me immediately of Heri Joensen from Tyr. I like it.

Remember I saw an article about them not too long ago in Nuclear blast magazine(I think) and decided that i'd sometime check em out. And after listening I get the feeling "just another power metal band", but still sounds pretty cool so might check this album out.

I got a Sabaton + church organs and more chanting vibe from them and I guess they do have a unique approach but after a weekend of listening to the new album I can safely say this release has pushed them far beyond just another band IMO. Very solid release with a catchy song every track :headbang: