Pre-amp?

moose209

Bottom chugger
Dec 6, 2005
london
www.myspace.com
I'm having trouble deciding on a good mono pre-amp/channel strip for my set up. I hate the noisy pre-amps on the 002 I have, so I wanna eliminate them from my signal path - OK in an ideal world I'd get an SSL channel strip, or a crane song but that'll have to wait. What would you guys suggest?

What sort of price range are we talking ("less than a Crane Song" is a pretty wide category :) ).
Some general recommendations: the new Chandler Germanium frigging great, and an absolute bargain at $1200. If you can find one in stock, that is; it's no secret that they're awesome.
Some good lower-priced ones include GT's The Brick (simple, ugly-looking, non-fancy but great-sounding tube pre), FMR's RNP (all-around-nice clean pre), and Universal Audio's Solo 110 (very, very underrated, IMO- versatile with tons of gain).

yeah we're talking alot less than crane song/neve/api/ssl, unless I start mugging old grannies again. thanks for the suggestions I shall check em out -
What are most people using?

I'm looking for a great sound, in my opinion you buy a piece of gear because you like what it does to your signal.(except monitors of course)

moose209 said:
yeah we're talking alot less than crane song/neve/api/ssl, unless I start mugging old grannies again. thanks for the suggestions I shall check em out -
What are most people using?

I'm looking for a great sound, in my opinion you buy a piece of gear because you like what it does to your signal.(except monitors of course)
fmr rnp is great, definetly worth checking out. also the rme quadmic is a nice four channel unit, same pres as the fireface. not the greatest pres in the world, but pretty damn good for the price per channel. id say the rnps are alittle nicer sounding. i read a pretty bad review of the brick somewhere(not quite sure where, but i remeber it being pretty credible), but i still want to hear it for myself. also the studio projects vtb1 is great for a hundred bucks. alot of people really like it(including me). check them out.

unsilpauly said:
i read a pretty bad review of the brick somewhere(not quite sure where, but i remeber it being pretty credible), but i still want to hear it for myself.
I can see that; it's definitely NOT a clean or uncolored preamp; it all comes down to whether you like its tone or not. I love it, but it's an extremely subjective thing. It's also so simple- just some jacks and one knob- that if you're not in love with its sound, then you'll find it nearly useless. Definitely worth checking out, though, to see if it suits you.
Gotta agree on the VTB-1, too, especially if you're thinking of picking up a whole bunch of channels. It's a nice, clean little guy, and the price is crazy.

Razorjack said:
I think I might pick up one of those VTB-1 pre's, I've heard quite a few good things about them and my budget for gear got cut drastically when I moved and doubled my rent a couple of weeks ago.
the tube blend is awesome on the vtb1. youll love it. especially for pod or other direct recording to hardisk. crank up the tube and it adds some life to the signal. direct bass recording is sweet with the vtb1. that tube blend makes it more versatile imho than any other cheap preamps on the market. i will probably at the very least buy one more of these things.

A Gruesome Discovery said:
Gotta agree on the VTB-1, too, especially if you're thinking of picking up a whole bunch of channels. It's a nice, clean little guy, and the price is crazy.
i wouldnt say its clean, i mean how clean are you gonna get in a pre in that price range? it definetly has a vibe of its own which i like. if you want clean in that price range i bet the rane ms1 that james has praised would be the cleanest pre in the cheap range.

unsilpauly said:
i wouldnt say its clean, i mean how clean are you gonna get in a pre in that price range? it definetly has a vibe of its own which i like. if you want clean in that price range i bet the rane ms1 that james has praised would be the cleanest pre in the cheap range.
By "clean" I mean "not burdened by cheap quasi-tube distortion designed to make it sound like you have some sort of warmth to mask the general cheap sound" that plagues pres in this range... although the "tube drive" knob does kind of introduce just a tad of this phenomenon, though it's much better than that of other pres in this range. It's a neat effect, but not when layering lots of tracks. Turning that knob right down is the best setting for this pre IMO if you're going to use it on many tracks, and it gives you a crap-free solid-state signal which can be described not as "wholly transparent", but rather "free of awful, dark fuzziness". You're right that it definitely has a vibe of its own, so maybe "not filthy with buzzy dirt" is a better description than "clean". :)

DSS3 said:
I love my VTB-1, but my soundcard doesn't take a TRS in, so I use some Radioshack converters. Raw.

Still sounds badass though! Clean, clear, accurate signal.

I ordered this pre today....I too have a sound card that doesnt take a TRS (audiophile 2496) Which converters did you get from the Shack?

Thanks man...

OzNimbus said:
The Vintech dual 72 is pretty awesome for recording guitars....

-0z-

Very good chooice. Usually you want something that adds a little color to you highly distorted fun box. Most go after the "Neve-ish" type pres i.e. vintech, great-river, etc....

cameltoe said:
Sure...over 1k....Im looking to spend a couple hundred at this point...maybe next year...

DMP3 was my first pre. I still use it to this day.