pre-down era sentenced?

fat bastard

Nov 19, 2004
just wondered what the early discs were like. was thinking bout picking one or two up after reading a few good reviews but still not sure what i'm getting into. never heard the early vocalist and thats what usually makes it or breaks it for me with talented bands. were they kinda doing a melo-death thing in the early days?

great, much better than their new stuff

"shadows of the past" is a bit of a standard early 90's nordic death metal album with some melodic tendencies

"north from here" is a brilliantly melodic & furious melodic death metal album that should appeal to just about everyone

"amok" is great too, more heavy metal influenced etc. really good songs on here: nepenthe, dance on the graves, etc.

the ep's "the trooper" and "love & death" are really good too

i recommend getting the collection "story: a recollection" or "greatest kills" (it's basically the same disc with 2 different names) which has most of the best songs from the early albums + songs from the EP's which are now kinda hard to get otherwise

Shadows of The Past 1991- Simple crushing doomy middlepaced death metal with some melodic elements. Guitarist Miika Tenkula does vocals on this album which are regular typical death metal styled. Shadows... is a great older death metal album, but is very primitive compared to the following two.

Favorite songs: Disengagement,Beyond the Distant Valleys,Rotting Ways To Misery

North From Here 1993- Darkened melodic death metal with tints of black metal. Bassist Taneli Jarva steps up on vocals. Taneli's vocals have a more high end black metallish rasp on this album. The music is more technical weird/expirimental, fast compared to shadows of the past.

Favoite songs: Northern Lights,Fields Of Blood, Harvester Of Hate,Awaiting The Winter Frost

Century media re-released Shadows of The Past and North From Here on a double disk with Journey to Pohjola e.p(92), and The Trooper e.p(94). Both albums are remastered. You can't go wrong with buying this.

Amok: 1995. The band leaves behind any trace of death metal. Amok is just a great rocking traditional album. Musically the band is more expirimental musical than ever. Taneli takes a different vocal approach, vocally a tad bit rough but good imo. This album is nothing like the first two or following albums(down,etc..). Century Media re-released Amok with the love & death e.p which is also great.

Favorite songs: Phenix,The War Ain't Over!,The Golden Stream Of Lapland(great instrumental),Forever Lost

I don't know how essential this music is in the realms of metal, but it sounds very good to me.