Pre-roll in Pro Tools transport question ...

Skinny Viking

¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?
Oct 10, 2007
Philly
www.facebook.com
How do I get rid of like a slight pre-roll that I've noticed everytime I hit the playback? I never had this happening in my old PT setup ... if I zeroed in on an exact spot I wanted to hear and hit play, it would start playing from exactly where I had the cursor set. Now I pick my spot and hit play and I can see it actually start from a few milliseconds or so before my mark. I looked in the manual and found where pre-roll is on the transport .... I put it at zero and shut out the transport but its still doing it and its kinda driving me batty. Any thoughts on how I get rid of this?

Thanks!

in PT7 click on it so that it isn't white, dunno what color it is in PT8. I think the keycommand is cmd+K

I'm using PT 7.4

I clicked on it, its not white but I'm still getting a 50 millisecond shift back every time I hit play

I went into Window > Transport, with expanded view so I saw the pre-roll option. It WAS white but still at zero. I tried it with and without ctrl+click (I'm on a pc) and its still doing the same thing ....

hmmmmmm

turn it off with CMD/Ctrl K.
Also look at the top of the screen you'll see a little yellow flag. thats the Pre Roll flag; make sure thats not back 50 ms either (ps use this cunning little bugger to find the ammount of Pre-roll in sessions with no click or in post useful as fuck)
Also make sure that link Timeline and edit selection is engaged; that can be a cause of werid timeline behaviour.

As an aside; has anyone noticed In P.T 8; when using pre roll, if you highlight a selection ; which i often do, say to record a verse, and you give it a pre roll of 4 bars or whatever; it misses the first click? winds me up.

turn it off with CMD/Ctrl K.
Also look at the top of the screen you'll see a little yellow flag. thats the Pre Roll flag; make sure thats not back 50 ms either (ps use this cunning little bugger to find the ammount of Pre-roll in sessions with no click or in post useful as fuck)
Also make sure that link Timeline and edit selection is engaged; that can be a cause of werid timeline behaviour.

As an aside; has anyone noticed In P.T 8; when using pre roll, if you highlight a selection ; which i often do, say to record a verse, and you give it a pre roll of 4 bars or whatever; it misses the first click? winds me up.

I'll check for the flag you're talking about ... thanks man

I did try Ctrl+click ... didn't work

50 milliseconds is not THAT big a deal, but it's enough that I hear it and when I want to start playing from an exact spot and it starts a little further back, yeah, its not only noticeable, its annoying ;)

Sorry for posting in the wrong spot Lasse :)

Ok I just checked for the yellow flag ... I see nothing and I'm still getting this weird little pre-roll

I also looked through my preferences, didn't see anything that would get rid of it

why does there always have to be something to burn my ass?

I've noticed this same thing. Maybe PT just has to do that slight pre-roll due to the recording engine or something???
Hasn't bothered me and I usually notice it only when trying to audition small regions repeatedly (when the loop won't work..)

What about changing the buffers and/or DAE playback or whatsitcalled?

I've noticed this same thing. Maybe PT just has to do that slight pre-roll due to the recording engine or something???
Hasn't bothered me and I usually notice it only when trying to audition small regions repeatedly (when the loop won't work..)

What about changing the buffers and/or DAE playback or whatsitcalled?

Are you using PT 7.4 also? I only ask cause I never had this in 6.9 and just upgraded last month to 7.4

Its the small region thing like you said where I noticed it and pretty much the only instances where it gets annoying

Are you using PT 7.4 also? I only ask cause I never had this in 6.9 and just upgraded last month to 7.4

Its the small region thing like you said where I noticed it and pretty much the only instances where it gets annoying

D'oh! Forgot to mention.. I'm using 7.1

I usually have to have everything up full (caches, buffers etc) in order to mix. My pc's getting a bit old.. but I've never considered this a problem, only wondered occasionally..

that's Command(Control on PC) + K, Carlos

Hey James

Yeah I did that too, Ctrl+K ... it turned off the pre & post roll and the value was still showing zero, but I still get it anyway. I checked on the DUC, seems this might be something buggy with PT 7.4 cause the several threads listed that described the same exact problem, no one had an answer and Digi was pretty much mum on it. I would have thought something like that would be patched up since I also have the cs10 update and all but I guess not. Thanks though man, I appreciate the input