Preamp tubes

azistenostora

Feb 9, 2009
Tatooine (aka Milton Keynes)
Sorry if this is a dumb question but how would one know when to replace tubes in a preamp (like engl e350)?
When the tube dies does it stop working or does it sound like shit all of the sudden? Also is it a quick process when they die or does the sound quality drop over a longer period of time?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how would one know when to replace tubes in a preamp (like engl e350)?
When the tube dies does it stop working or does it sound like shit all of the sudden? Also is it a quick process when they die or does the sound quality drop over a longer period of time?

The preamp tubes should last indefinitely.

Also is it a quick process when they die or does the sound quality drop over a longer period of time?

Depends on the cause of failure.

the most common fail as far as I know is when they go micro phonic meaning the preamp will start to make squealing noises even when nothing is plugged in.

I think this kind of thing happens when the valves are hot .

The easiest way to test for this is to gently tap each preamp valve to try and trigger the faulty valve in to making this noise.

Just dont electrocute your self in the process.

Thanks Omega, but your answer is a little contradicting. You say they last indefinitely, but then you say that they can fail. So how would I know when to replace them?

I was in a big hurry when I typed it. More fully, then:

Power tubes will wear out over time, due to the very large currents they have to handle, but preamp tubes handle really piddling small amounts of current, so they do not wear out as a normal consequence of being used.

However, all types of electronic components can fail before their expected lifetime.

A lot of old guys slam the quality of modern tubes; they speak of cheap manufacturing, they speak of poor quality control...

Even good quality products may fail prematurely despite passing QC checks - some defects are just like that (the term for defects like that is "infant mortality", which I find wonderfully macabre).

Also, they may suffer from being abused. Roadies banging your amp around, operation in excessively humid conditions, smoke, dust, vomit, drugged-up idiots pissing on your gear, gremlins, voodoo curses...

If the vacuum is going soft (i.e. no longer completely airtight) the tube is buggered, but the vacuum may be lost very slowly and gradually, or it may go from fine one minute to fucked the next.

Practical upshot - if they sound fine, they are fine. If they sound wrong, you have a problem - although the root of problem may lie inside the amp itself, of course.

It's worth using some switch-cleaner spray to make sure there's no crud building up in the sockets.

It's a good idea to keep a spare preamp tube which you know is good, to swap out the tubes one by one and find out that way if one has gone bad.

It's probably a bad idea to open your amp up yourself, there's potentially lethal stuff in the guts.