presenting my review of the 12/12 Brooklyn show!!

Will Bozarth

Everlasting Godstopper
Jan 26, 2002
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
dun dun dun!!!!!! hahaha here goes...
My dad and I set out to Brooklyn, New York at 3:30 PM. Driving up, we listen to Dreaming Neon Black and Nevermore in its entirety, along with a bit of Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse. Taking us about two hours to arrive there. We drive around a bit, trying to find the correct streets to drive down. At 5:30, metalskater7 calls my cellphone as planned. He informed me he is right in front of Nevermore's tour bus (the brown one, as i instructed :tickled: ) He told me that he will wait to talk to them when I get there. His friend held the spot in line since 10 AM. So, here we are in line, waiting to get let in. One douche in line kept insisting that Blind Guardian was a better band than Nevermore and how much Hansi kicks Warrel's ass. I refused to comment.

Although everywhere said "Doors: 7:30", we were let in at... probably 8:10. Freezing cold, couldn't feel my face, couldn't move my hands. At the Philadelphia show, Warrel told me to find him before the Brooklyn show so he can help me get my video camera in. The band was asleep when I tried to contact them, so I just tried to get in, hoping telling the guy would be good enough. Apparently not, so we had to get out of line, take the camera back to the car, then go back to the line. Thankfully, we were able to go right in.

We got in and I went straight to the Will-Call window. I informed the person behind the mysterious Window of DEATH!!! that I am on the Nevermore guestlist. "Name?" she says. I tell her "Will Bozarth" and give her my school ID for identification. So, my dad and I got in.

We try finding a good place, so we decide to go in the pit area. Lamour is very small, and has this layout. There is the normal floor area, and in the middle, there are steps going down, and this is the "pit area". At first, we were cramped to the side, as I plot our escape during Hypocrisy and Children of Bodom.

Right after Children of Bodom, I ordered my dad to hold on to my jacket. I plowed through many people, and wound up dead center, in the back of maybe 3 people. This was good enough, and it was also cooincidentally the same place James (metalskater7) was located.

Nevermore came out, and the crowd was surprisingly calm. There was moshing, but not as much as the Asbury Park and Philadelphia shows. The Brooklyn scene sucks. I'm glad the BMF is around. But back to what I was saying... Nevermore came out and played Narcosynthesis, as I knew from previous shows. The setlist is below. I may have forgotten one song, and some parts of it may be out of order.
-
Narcosynthesis
Seven Tongues of God
Never Purify
The Riverdragon Has Come
I, Voyager
Engines of Hate
Sound of Silence
Enemies of Reality
-
During one of the breaks in the setlist, we started chanting "FRUIT OF THE LOOMIS! FRUIT OF THE LOOMIS!" Warrel heard us and had a very very amused look on his face. During the next song, James brought out his Fruit of the Loomis picture and waved it at Warrel. He saw it and started cracking up. He took it from him and showed it to Jim, who smiled. Warrel then proceeded to stuff the picture down his pants. :lol: Later on in the song, he pulled it out of his pants, and saw that it was badly wrinkled, so he put on a sad face. He unwrinkled it, held the picture to his chest, and massaged "Jeff"'s nipple :lol: Warrel is one of, if not THE best frontman I've seen.

Right after Nevermore, my dad and I plowed out of the pit, up the steps, and he told me he was going to wait in the car. He gave me $5, and I got a $3 soda while I waited for James. I found him, and waited for him to get his EoR hoodie, then he went to get his crew. We made out way to the buses, but I first ran to my dad's car so I can grab my videocamera. I figured if I couldn't tape the show, I'd still tape the band in some way. We were out there for a few min, and Jim came out of the building. We said "hey", and he said "hey hows it goin", then he went into the bus. We were waiting for probably an hour, freezing our fucking asses off, then Steve Smyth appeared from the bus. He asked me if I got in fine, and that he'll be right back. About a half and hour later, Jeff came out and spoke to us for a bit. He saw me and said "HEY YOU!!!" and walked over with his hand extended. We shook hands, and I informed him that I fixed everything between him and the board. He said "Thanks!" and James's group asked him of his influences. He told us Jason Becker. A little bit later, he went down the street with some people.

Then, Warrel came out. This is where the laughing began. He didn't see me at first, but I let out a loud womanly toned "WWAARREEEEELLL hiiii WAARRREEEEEEELL!!", then he responded with an equally womanly "WIIIILLLLL". :lol:. We were all talking about music and such. About how Chuck's anniversary was today, and how much he looked up to him. About the Nevermore tour with Death. Then, I asked him a question I was dying to know. HE LIKES ANATHEMA!!! YES!!!! He told me he hadn't heard the new one yet, but he had heard that it wasn't as good as the rest. I told him that I liked it, just it was more atmospheric with more keyboards. He told me that someone gave him the new CD at a show on the west coast, but he accidentally left it in the dressing room. I told him that a Nevermore/Anathema tour would rule, and he agreed wholeheartedly. In response to "Do you like Bloodbath?" he goes "FUCK YES!!" He's friends with Mikael. He said that he doesn't think they'll ever tour (Bloodbath).

I told him that I meant to burn him a CD with my band's stuff on it, but didn't have the time. He then taunted me with the fact that Pyrus (whom he called Wolftribe :lol: ) got him to wear the hat and I didn't. He said that he thought it was me at the SF show, because he was a little blurry.

I also informed him about our "What Would Warrel Do?" Campaign and he thought it was fucking hilarious. He laughed really hard when I told him "Womb Broom Typhoon". He said he liked it. Jeff came back, and James brought out FretsAflame's artwork for the Fruit of the Loomis campaign. Jeff laughed, as did Warrel. Warrel instructed Jeff, "Do not destroy these! These are funny!!" Then, Jeff disappeared back onto the bus.

Warrel told us of the taping for Headbangers Ball. He said that him and Nick Barker were at the TRL location with the window, posing at the people below. He said that people were cheering, taking pictures, and going "who are they?" Same thing with the tourist doubledecker buses that went by. I found that rather amusing. He told me that they brought back the Sanctuary - Future Tense video for the show. I said "ahhh yes..." He said "Yeah, and I was sporting a fucking killer mullet too."

He then taunted me with songs that they played in Europe on the last tour :lol: (sorry Karmic, I forgot to ask about the next one :() He said "well, we DID play No More Will at almost every show over there." "Yep, and Garden of Gray" "That one too!!" "Sea of Possibilities..." "Yep!!! hahaha!!!" It was rather cruel. :lol: :lol: :lol: He told us that on the next tour, they will be bringing back ALOT of old songs like that. I can't wait

He also informed us that he was "fucking freezing", so we all said our goodbyes. He told us he'll be back on the forum when the tour's done. I told him to do more IRC chats. He told me that he was banned from Prison.net for some reason :lol: :lol: I just told him to use a "Random EFnet Server". He said he'll try it. He went back on the bus.

At this point, I really wanted to thank Steve for all he's done for me. After waiting 20 minutes more, and still didn't come back. Even though I didn't want to leave, I couldn't feel my body anymore. So, I went to the car, and we drove off......

Reactions: FretsAflame
i forgot one thing!!

I asked him if its true that he hates the selftitled. He said "Not really, but there are some songs on there that I'm not too fond of anymore. I mean, it's only a demo! Century Media heard it, then instantly said 'we want to release it' So that's what they did. We didn't even have time to re-record it. I guess the quality's good enough."

after that statement, I was completely shocked. Their debut is only a demo, and not an actual CD... to confirm songs he does like:
WTK
CBF
SoP
TL

dont know about the others

best day of my life! and i got to meet my fav band and my lifes idle, hes also a very lay back funny guy who seems to love his fan base on this forum and having a great time. they put on an amazing show to, i never thought they could make never purify sound so heavy lol
also bodom was killer the whole band was wasted and they were still flawless
and as for hypocrpy(sp?) i thought thye were gonna be ok after the 3 songs i had heard prior but they were great i def wanna lok into them more after that show
but nevermore def stole the show
great review will also! much descriptive!
on the line there me and my friends in the front of the line were all singing nevermore and blind guardian songs to pass time (time what is time, the bards song, what tomorrow knows, valhalla etc...) and we would sing them loud to see how mnay people would come in.......absoulty nothing, i said to myself wow this scne is horrible lol, we then began to procede to make a back of the line sucks chant but thought better of it 5 minutes in :lol:then we proceded to go inand have the best day of my life(until they come around again!)

ill have pictures up as soon as i get them developed, i have warrel singing with the crumpled up fruit of the loomis pic in his hand!

Nice review, deadskinmask, cool shit.

I was there too. I didn't expect the "good bands" to take the stage so early, so I figured if I showed up by 8:30 I'd be OK. So... I nearly missed Hypocrisy! As I was entering the club, I heard them playing "Fractured Millenium" so I was like, fuck! I didn't even have time to check my coat. The place was already so fucking packed, I couldn't get a decent spot for Hypocrisy, but I enjoyed the set anyway, with somewhat obstructed view. Whomever says they suck, has no fucking clue. They are one of the best Swedich death metal bands out there.

So CoB was next. I can't say I'm a huge fan, but I dig their music. I managed to get a decent spot by the railing, so I had a good view this time. Something was way wrong with their sound, the keys were too loud, the guitars sounded muffled. But the crowd was totally into them, in fact they got the best response of all the bands, the pit area was a total chaos. I guess most pple were there to see them.

Nevermore was up next. Holy shit, they guys just ripped the place apart. They were easily the best band of the night! The set list looks right. I thought Ambivalent was supposed to be on the list, but oh well. I was a bit pissed as they didn't get a very good response from the crowd, I noticed a lot of blank stares on pple's faces. I guess some pple just don't dig their music, too fucking bad. Warrel said something like "you guys are the living proof that the metal is alive". And he also said they are coming back for the headling tour, but I guess that's an old news. I don't know why there was so little light on stage during their set, they played almost in the dark! But I'm not complaining.

Dimmu was next. I dunno, I don't dig their music, just bores the shit out of me. But I was curious to see what they looked like, so I waited through all the ridiculously long soundcheck, and they were allright I suppose, sounded kinda the same as on the album. I noticed the crowd wasn't really going mental, either. A lot of pple have left before they even started. I watched for half an hour and then I fugured I've seen enough, so I grabbed a Nevermore t-shirt on the way out and left.

-GK

Reactions: FretsAflame
Dude, Will, great review, you really take the time to capture the details of the night - thanks from me and all those who couldn't make it to the show in their area! James, I just wanted to thank you again for coming through on what you said you would do, I'm glad the band got a laugh out of those - reps for both of you, kick the ass guys!

-Steve-

Will, GK & Metalskater, thanks for the reviews sounded great & would love to see the pix.

Holy crap Will! My parents never would have taken me to a metal show when I was your age. Gotta give lots of props to your dad for 1. driving you and 2. actually hanging out in the pit w/you for a while. That rocked!

Lillitu said:
Will, GK & Metalskater, thanks for the reviews sounded great & would love to see the pix.

Holy crap Will! My parents never would have taken me to a metal show when I was your age. Gotta give lots of props to your dad for 1. driving you and 2. actually hanging out in the pit w/you for a while. That rocked!

no shit, i wish my dad would have hooked me up like that - bastahd

Nevermore's performance was top-notch last night. Unfortunately, it didn't seem that many of the fans were that enthused or rather fully familiar with Nevermore' extensive body of work. I really believe that 50% of the occupancy probably couldn't even identify Warrel before he came on. He walked right past from the back 15 minutes before their set. I didn't realize that he was nearly or taller than myself (6-3). Moving along, "Engines of Hate" was especially a highlight of the setlist!! Dane is a charismatic lead with a sense of humor. He alluded to the terrible stench in the place when they came on. L'amours stage is painfully small and the acoustics have much to be desired of. Then he later he said that all the marijaunas fumes were attributed to all the fan's affinity for sixties music.