Presonus Studio One DAW

The idea is quite good but two things are currently marks against it:

1. It's coming too much from that Nuendo direction. Too many tools, unintuitive editing workflow.

2. It's not fully developed, so it lacks a lot of features we've come to expect in modern DAWs.

But they are working hard on it and it will be one to watch in the future.

The idea is quite good but two things are currently marks against it:

1. It's coming too much from that Nuendo direction. Too many tools, unintuitive editing workflow.

Here I disagree. It's obviously related to Cubendo (no wonder, considering who's developing), but they streamlined so much of Cubendo's "menu-madness", it's really a pleasure to work with IMHO.

There are a lot of things incorporated I either like about Cubase, PT or Reaper. And there's never been a DAW that's been so comfortable to work with in a "single window/screen environment" for me. I'm doing lot's of mobile work, so that's quite crucial for me...

2. It's not fully developed, so it lacks a lot of features we've come to expect in modern DAWs.

But they are working hard on it and it will be one to watch in the future.

And this exactly left a sour taste to my very positive first impressions. As I started to put Studio One through the trials of a regular session, more and more issues surfaced that ended up to be more or less a PITA.

For example (based on version 1.0, the one I used the most):

- No Elastic Audio/VariAudio/Warp - whatsoever

- No Beat Detective clone

- If you punch in at a tempo change, the pre-count will be at the preceding tempo. Very annoying. If you want the pre-count to be at the new tempo, you'll have to insert some "dummy measures"

- Apparently, a "BPM-tap" feature has been added now, but I've read that it's not working for many people

- No "gradual" tempo changes as you know them from Cubase or Reaper. You need to insert many short measures to gradually slow down or speed up the tempo

- etc.

---

BUT, this thing has lots of potential and they're way faster at implementing new features or alternating them than they guys at Steinberg or Avid. Will have a close eye on the future development.

I agree that overall workflow is an improvement over Cubendo, I mean what wouldn't be? It just doesn't touch PT for editing, as a lot of its functions are mouse/drag based, using a lot of tools, which in some ways seems amateurish and inefficient. Its editing functionality isn't very fleshed out yet. I appreciated the convenience of how it dealt with groups, routing, VSTis and stuff, but it lacked the necessary flexibility and power for professional work. It's obviously aimed squarely at the home recording market, much as Cubase is. They don't seem to have any aspirations to topple PT, from the interactions I had with their Marketing Director, which wasn't very inspirational.

Last time I used it you couldn't even map shortcuts to anything, much less think about macros. I couldn't even create new tracks without my hands leaving the keyboard. I had an absolute ton of these issues written out as I was testing the demo, and I'm not sure whether they were ever taken on board or not.

This DAW has potential, no doubt, but I think it's a long way from being viable for professional use.

Jesus+Facepalm.jpg