PRIMAL FEAR: Rulebreaker

Actually I'm not in general an over analyzer at all hehe. I just like a more pronounced melody in a chorus. Saxon suffers from the same disease though I know you won't wanna hear me saying that G Man! Still this is only one song but it's just an average tune but I remember being far more excited by the lead tune from Delivering the Black than I am by this. I know Ralf is tired of the Halford comparisions but he's trying a bit too hard here to sound different. He sounded far more melodic and much better on the Blackwelder disk from earlier this year if you recall. I do have high hopes for the new 'Fear disk cause Magnus is hopefully writing some songs as well but this sounds more like a Mat Sinner composition with it's less interesting approach.

I do really like a couple songs on this album, but the rest is rather pedestrian.

I do really like a couple songs on this album, but the rest is rather pedestrian.

What is "pedestrian"? I mean, Primal Fear is not re-inventing the wheel with this album. And I would not want them to. They play melodic heavy/power metal with great riffing, catchy melodies and great vox. That's what they deliver once again with Rulebreaker. If that's pedestrian, then I'll take pedestrian.

What is "pedestrian"? I mean, Primal Fear is not re-inventing the wheel with this album. And I would not want them to. They play melodic heavy/power metal with great riffing, catchy melodies and great vox. That's what they deliver once again with Rulebreaker. If that's pedestrian, then I'll take pedestrian.
pedestrian is the same stuff on every Primal Fear album. nothing new, sounds like you have heard it all before. not saying it's a bad thing, just the band sounds like they are on cruise control in their writing

Man... this is a really weird band for me. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for me liking or disliking one of their records. It's especially odd given how little this band deviates from their formula. That said, this record just isn't doing it for me. I've spun it through a few times, but nothing is really grabbing me and inspiring me to listen to it again. Perhaps it's just an issue of timing. At present, I have a good number of superior power metal discs in my heavy rotation (Brainstorm, Diviner, Manimal, etc.).

Man... this is a really weird band for me. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for me liking or disliking one of their records. It's especially odd given how little this band deviates from their formula. That said, this record just isn't doing it for me. I've spun it through a few times, but nothing is really grabbing me and inspiring me to listen to it again. Perhaps it's just an issue of timing. At present, I have a good number of superior power metal discs in my heavy rotation (Brainstorm, Diviner, Manimal, etc.).

For me, the new Primal Fear is as good as the Diviner, and better than the Manimal (which I also like quite a bit) and the Brainstorm, which is also nice. The last 3-4 PF albums are just killer IMO.

It's totally pointless saying this 'cause it's all about opinions but I don't get the praise for the new Brainstorm. I must be deaf! PF is light years ahead IMO.
You're 100% correct... it's all about opinions. I'm often fascinated by how even among such a small subset of music fans such as ourselves, furthered boiled down to a single sub-genre (power metal), and with that sub-genre (power metal) being perhaps the most formulaic of the metal sub-genres, there's so little agreement. That said, I'm right and you're wrong. :loco:

So far, this is the album I'm liking most from last weeks releases. So much win.