Probably total newbie question

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
How can i simultaneously record into multiple tracks in my Daw? I mean, recording for example two bass tracks (DI and mic'ed cab) and recording each one into a separate track for further mixing later? Can this be done with a normal firewire interface like a focusrite? or is this only for pro-tools people?

well, yes a fw interface will record multiple tracks simultaneously. you need to have multiple inputs on the interface.
there are m0stly 2 channel interfaces, 8 channel interfaces, and interfaces with adat i/o that allows you to do up to 26 simultaneous inputs.

look into fw interfaces and you will learn all you need to know.

Yeah definitely the most n00bish question of all time :lol:

In your DAW, arm all the tracks you want to record onto for recording (usually a button with an R on it or something on the track, just click it so it's highlighted)

Set the inputs of the tracks to the different inputs on your soundcard you are using

Record.

They wouldn't make interfaces with more than one input if you could only record one at a time! Hope that's enough detail to get you going bro, we all started somewhere...

(usually a button with an R on it or something on the track, just click it so it's highlighted)

well THAT was kinda unnecesary, I know how to arm a track for recording, THANK YOU hahaha

seriously, thanks guys, no more newbie questions, honest! I've read too much to be making stupid questions, just never found the answer to this and I will have the interface soon and will be recording a band so I figured it'd be better to pass the embarassment online with no one seeing my face than with the dudes of the band I'll be recording. They're friends and I ain't chargin them anything so no biggie anyway.

Btw you the same Forbidden from SMN?

i think what forbidden was getting at was that you have to select an input for each corresponding track you record enable. by default all inputs are set to input 1, so you have to change them for simultaneous use.

good luck! what interface are you buying?

i think what forbidden was getting at was that you have to select an input for each corresponding track you record enable. by default all inputs are set to input 1, so you have to change them for simultaneous use.

good luck! what interface are you buying?

Yeah I got that, thanks. I'm not buying one right now, just bought a small mixer (for live keyboard sequencing) and a amp head for my Bass, but the guitarrist of the band Im going to recording is buying a focusrite fw interfase, cant remember exactly which one, he's buying it with the intention that I will record their demo with that thing