problem with adat converter presonus digimax lt

heavenshell

Jul 26, 2006
hey guys just recently bought a presonus digimax lt to go long with my m-audio 1814 , problem i just plug it in and the sample rate goes straight to 44.1 which is wat im recording at fine , but i keep getting pops and cracks so i tried maybe have the external clock button in which i thought would work but i cant get the sample to stop flashing were do i fix it in the m-audio control panel i cant get it to stop do i do it on protools please im going crazy here ?
:err:

id doesent really give u that i can check ill let u no like it works without doing this but its giving me pops and cracks?

I bet it does "give u that." "That" is a place in your software to asign where the m-audio receives word clock.
And yes, if you fail to slave the m-audio to the digimax you will receive audio with the occasional massive transient spike as the devices slip in and out of sync. Much like punctuation in written language, word clock allows the devices to effectively communicate.

ive been wondering this shit too... i solved it by using a bnc cable but ive never been able to figure out how to sync via adat with my fireface800. is it not possible or something?

ADAT can only transfer audio data or clocking data, not both - thus you'd need to run an ADAT cable from your Fireface to whatever other converter you wanted to slave to it

ADAT can only transfer audio data or clocking data, not both - thus you'd need to run an ADAT cable from your Fireface to whatever other converter you wanted to slave to it
I'm not really sure what you mean here. Both ADAT and SPDIF can operate as a sync sounce. The absolute simplest way w/ one interface and one external a/d is to clock the interface to the ADAT in fed by the external interface. In PT you can assign this in hardware settings. One cable for audio and sync.

Here is the settings window in the RME:
rmesettings.png

On the right hand side just set "Pref. Sync Ref" to the ADAT input you are using.

Here is the page for the m-audio:
maudiosync.png

What I meant, though, is as far as I know, if you were running a Digimax into a Fireface via ADAT, the Digimax would have to be the master clock, since the Fireface couldn't send clocking data back through the same ADAT cable (whereas this is possible with SPDIF), you would have to run another ADAT cable from the Fireface to the Digimax (or a BNC cable). Or I'm totally wrong here, but I was pretty certain that was the case...

What I meant, though, is as far as I know, if you were running a Digimax into a Fireface via ADAT, the Digimax would have to be the master clock, since the Fireface couldn't send clocking data back through the same ADAT cable (whereas this is possible with SPDIF), you would have to run another ADAT cable from the Fireface to the Digimax (or a BNC cable). Or I'm totally wrong here, but I was pretty certain that was the case...
Yeah you are right. ADAT and SPDIF only carry data in one direction so if you want to use your interface as the master clock then you would have to get clock back to the a/d via a bnc. I just misunderstood what you were saying.

Yeah, no prob. dude - though actually, I thought SPDIF could carry the data both directions, whereas ADAT couldn't...I guess there would be an easy way to find out, if I had an interface with SPDIF inputs! :loco:

Thanks for the help guys , much appreciated the only reason it confused me was because i owned the berhinger ultragain adat converter and i simply pluged the adat cable out into my adat in on my firewire and no problems to pops and cracks.?